Dreams and wishes....

Options

Comments

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've finally got my maintenance in and, having done the sums, I have the princely sum of £1 in the bank to cover me til payday next week! So not going to happen, as for a start I need petrol...…….It's a good job I have virtual savings (as in my car maintenance fund is within my current account so I can dip into it).

DD and I are off to London today, yippee!! We're taking a packed lunch and drinks.

I didn't go out with my friend last night, but we're going to meet on Saturday instead. She's suggested restaurant lunch and cheap cinema, but I'm going to suggested that we have food at her house first (added bonus: she has 2 kitties so I get extra cuddles!) then we walk in, as she lives very near the town centre.
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Darn it, I've just realised £10 of my "money" is actually DD's, as KW has given her money for our trip today!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you can still use the money and pay her back on payday. Horrid isn't it? We work so hard for money but it just fritters itself away. You are doing the best you can and sometimes this happens to us all. I hope you can still have a good trip. Sometimes its ok to use credit card - this is one of those times I am sure.

I wish we were all rich. Life would be so much easier:T
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Oh my, we had an AMAZING day! The show was brilliant and the excitement of DD absolutely priceless :)

We also had a great wander around Soho and Chinatown and I had coffee in one of my old haunts, Bar Italia. She was amazed at me pointing out the bars and clubs (some now former :( ) that I used to go to in my late teens and early twenties...…..I kept my tales of debauchery to myself though ;)

We also (re)discovered Foyles, I'd not been in there since it was in its last shop and was very Soviet in design. What a delight! We loved wandering around and I bought myself (woohoo! I never do this!) a few books, including a French thriller, in French :) I've not read a French novel in years and am very happy that I do still understand nearly every word :) (I graduated nearly 25 years ago!!)

We also got buns from my favourite Chinese bakery :) and, in the interests of being frugal, took a picnic lunch, water and used public transport (we usually use Uber, as I'm a princess, and we're usually up in London at night).

Today is also going to be fab-u-lous! I'm off to a town about 50 miles away soon to meet up with 2 amazing friends.

Do you know what? I'm NOT going to stress about money today, it's payday in a week and I'll only be spending a relatively small amount. Life is for celebrating, I don't have any debts apart from my student loan and my mortgage, and it's not like I'm going crazy.

In other very exciting news, KW was unexpectedly offered another part-time job yesterday! It's not official yet, but it's right up his alley. He's very excited and I'm so proud of him :):) If it becomes official, he'll give up his furthest away job (the one that takes 2 hours on public transport twice a week) and the new job is at a place where he already works part-time for 28 hours. Attaboy!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Glad you had a lovely time in London KK. Kids are always amazed when they realise you had a life before them :rotfl:

Hope you enjoyed meeting your friends without the money worries and go KW on the new job :j:T:beer:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Thank you lovely :) I had another A-MAZ-ING day yesterday; my friends are such fun and we talked about everything and anything under the sun. It wasn't hugely expensive either - I did buy more books, but they were from the Oxfam shop :)

Off to get fish for the my class tank this morning and pop into school to do the necessary, then supposed to be meeting my other chum, but to be honest, I could do with a day chilling out with my baby girl, so I might postpone it and have a mummy day instead.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hopefully you can spend a bit of time with DD and also with friend. Enjoy the last weekend before we go back. lol. :beer:
  • Kittikins
    Options
    The s*dding key didn't work, he didn't cut it properly :( Never mind....

I postponed my friend yesterday, in the end, I thought that the film wasn't a 'must see' and I felt like DD was being neglected, as I was out all the day before and didn't get home from dropping stuff into school, putting up displays, trimming work, updating documents etc etc until gone 1pm! Friend was fine with it, thank goodness!!

Today we're off sofa shopping, as we have a tiny 2-seater sofa that's virtually falling apart and a weird recliner chair and footstall that is literally falling apart!! Poor KW was sat on it the other night and a leg fell off it!

Having exhausted all the high street sofa shops, we're now going to a small local chain, where the prices are slightly higher, but hopefully the build quality is better.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh sofa shopping - it's nice to buy things for the house. I still love my furniture and I bought it 9 years ago it hasn't dated I don't think.

Enjoy the last day of freedom with DD.:j
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Thank you lovely :)

We have ordered 2 very lovely sofas, well one's a sofabed. We upgraded the quality of the fabric for about £50 on each one, as the cheapest fabric was incredibly thin and we were worried the kitties' claws would go through quite quickly.

So....we are going to have to pull our belts in for a couple of months to pay it off! We didn't want to do a credit agreement, even on interest free, so it's gone on my credit card, so I'll earn Tesco points! The balance will get paid when it's due, by using our savings, which we'll then replenish, so we won't be paying any interest.

Just got to keep faith that we don't have any financial emergencies. But at least we'll be comfy on our sofas :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure