[MAC] How Do I Upgrade from Yosemite to Sierra?

Options
I thought it was about time I finally upgraded my Mac laptop from the outdated Yosemite OS, to Sierra.

I just typed 'Sierra' into the App store, and can't find it.

Any ideas where I can find it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pmartin86
    Options
    You're about 2 years too late...

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/mojave/

it should appear in your "updates" tab.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2018 at 9:19AM
    Options
    pmartin86 wrote: »
    You're about 2 years too late...

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/mojave/

it should appear in your "updates" tab.

In my case Mojave did not appear in the Updates screen as I would have expected. It appeared as a banner advertisement at the top of the App Store main page.

A few little niggles with Mojave, the main one of which is that launched Application icons, for example Chrome web browser stay in the dock at the bottom when the application is quit and to remove it from the dock the icon has to be moved to trash as with default program icons. This is the same action used to uninstall applications from the Applications screen and is therefore confusing. Similarly icons stay in the dock after an Application is uninstalled and has to be removed manually. I also find the new Store screen confusing. Lastly, Mail appears to take a very long time to get mail from anything other than iCloud, for example Outlook and the "Get Mail" icon doesn't appear to work.

So you might like to wait to update to Mojave until these little niggles are possibly sorted.

I'm on a Macbook Air.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Ifor example Chrome web browser stay in the dock at the bottom when the application is quit
    That's not a niggle, that is by design. Matches the way the dock on the iPad Pro works. You don't have to move it to the trash, right click on the icon and select "Options" then "Remove from Dock".
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought it was about time I finally upgraded my Mac laptop from the outdated Yosemite OS, to Sierra.

I just typed 'Sierra' into the App store, and can't find it.

Any ideas where I can find it?

Thanks in advance.

See the bottom of this page.....

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

Basically, pressing Cmd-R as the Mac starts to boot will install the latest operating system available for your machine.

Pressing Option-Cmd-R will install the system originally supplied with the machine.

To get a particular system inbetween those two involves getting hold of a download and making a bootable USB stick and installing from there.
  • ozmusafir
    Options
    https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?l=en&mt=12

Open the link on your apple device it will redirect you to the App Store and you will be able to download Sierra.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 November 2018 at 2:16AM
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the mac os but before you upgrade, check if you can downgrade again easily from a backup.
    Then check if any of your expensive software is compatible;
    productivity software such as office suites
    visual editing software such as art-rendering or publishing products
    repair and backup software etc.
    And whether any software you need for accessing older files will be irrevocably lost.
    And whether compatible driver software exists for your peripherals such as scanners or printers.
    And when you know they all work, that might be time to think about upgrading, as I'm not sure whether apple have the same obsession with back-compatibility that Microsoft has.

This webpage
    suggests if you're still using CS5 or Office 2011 they might not work with Mojave.

So, only after checking all these steps first, is how to do it
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure