IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Not allowed to park at work

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For goodness sake, 15 minutes walk....

Look on it as a cardiac work out each day, it will do you the world of good......

I have heart disease, and 69 years old . I do 5 to 8k steps a day to help keep me alive
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Well as long as the company/organisation is prepared to take responsibility for the personal safety of the employees they're forcing to park a distance from their premises then that's OK.

And the law says this where exactly...
    NO company can tell an employee NOT to park on a public road

however this may cause friction if the OP disregards this , but having said that , how can an employee LEGALLY get the VRN of the employee,

getting someone to follow / check when not on shift would result in "follower" getting two fingers poked in there eyes by me , other people may just ring police and report a stalker

Yes they can, and do, and if you don’t like it; find another job- because you’ll be out with your weeks notice.

How can an employer get a registration?
    “Tell me your registration”

And you’d be facing a prosecution for assault as well as the dole queue....
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    And the law says this where exactly...

You start getting involved in prescribing where and where not a member of staff can park perfectly legally off your premises then you have an extended common law duty of care to them.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    Tashyar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone help with this....I work in a retail park where if you stay more than 3 hours you put your number plate into a machine which are located in every store for staff to input for themselves or for the public if they stay longer than the limit. However we Are the only store on the retail park not allowed to do this and exempt ourselves (unless if you are a manager or part of security). We have found somewhere to park (which they didn’t help with) but it’s a 15 minute walk. Their is Atleast 300 free spaces a day and only 20 of us that aren’t allowed to park. Is their a law against this or anything I can bring up with the employer not letting us park? Thanks.
    Why not park in one of those 300 free spaces & pop into one of the other stores & enter your registration on their machine?
  • McKneff wrote: »
    For goodness sake, 15 minutes walk....

Look on it as a cardiac work out each day, it will do you the world of good......

I have heart disease, and 69 years old . I do 5 to 8k steps a day to help keep me alive

Agreed, I rarely drive to work these days because Oxford hates cars and the Park and Ride nearest to my work is normally full by the time I need to be in Oxford. Instead I do a 10 min walk from my house to railway station, a 15 min walk from Oxford railway station to work and at 5:30 pm do the same in reverse, really can't understand the OP's fuss at a short walk, tens of thousands of us have to do that every working day.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    There could be H&S issues if staff are required to park and walk somewhere ( ie personal safety) depending upon the area.
    Has your manager done a risk assessment on this?

but then again until you are on work premises and on company time how you get there should be of little or no concern
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Half_way wrote: »
    There could be H&S issues if staff are required to park and walk somewhere ( ie personal safety) depending upon the area.
    Has your manager done a risk assessment on this?

Exactly, there's also Equality Act considerations for those members of staff with limited mobility or other health issues.
    Half_way wrote: »
    but then again until you are on work premises and on company time how you get there should be of little or no concern

That's my view, but seemingly some employers want to get involved but don't want to take responsibility for the potential consequences of their interference.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Two points.

1. Just why are your employers not letting staff park on site?

2. I see no problem in an employer giving directions to where the nearest public parking is available. I worked in London all my life and my employer had no parking facilities and I can see no reason why they would have to assume responsibility for my safety if I chose to drive to work.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There could be many reasons the employers don't want you to park at work.

It could be that they have that as a blanket rule across ALL branches, to be consistent, so that others at stores where there is no parking don't feel disadvantaged.

It could be their lease on the building does not offer them the option.

It could be that the employers have to pay a Staff Parking Fee to the car park managers for the privilege of letting staff park there, a fee they are not prepared to pay.

You can't just moan without knowing why the rule has been set.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There could be many reasons the employers don't want you to park at work.

It could be that they have that as a blanket rule across ALL branches, to be consistent, so that others at stores where there is no parking don't feel disadvantaged.

It could be their lease on the building does not offer them the option.

It could be that the employers have to pay a Staff Parking Fee to the car park managers for the privilege of letting staff park there, a fee they are not prepared to pay.

You can't just moan without knowing why the rule has been set.

That's why I asked. Same thoughts as you. Seems odd to be the only company affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure