Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 6:15PM
    errrm....I'll take that comment in the spirit it was meant in maman then:rotfl::rotfl:

My people-watching back in my home city recently showed that a lot of people are currently wearing rather short (capri length or veering towards) trousers. That's not something I ever see here basically.

I like them - but not for me I think - particularly with being pretty short. A clothes purchase today was a petite length pair of leggings from Dorothy Perkins. Now I've got my mind round this concept of petite/seven-eighths length or whatever - well those leggings are exactly the right length for me.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    errrm....I'll take that comment in the spirit it was meant in maman then:rotfl::rotfl:

Definitely!:eek::o:o:o
  • Quick query time here on clothes.

I got absolutely drenched through earlier today in the shower-proof raincoat I bought from a charity shop as a temporary thing - while I diet back down in size.

So I thought - I really do need to make sure the raincoat I intend to get when I'm back to "proper size" is indeed waterproof. Seasalt ones say they are and have been tested out in Cornwall (some of which I guess gets similar weather to here).

SO:
    1. Are they as waterproof as they say they are?
    2. Checking out the sizes and thinking "Perhaps I should buy one marked as size 12 - ready for when I am back to my proper size?" Then I got confused by checking out what they say about their sizing on their website. It looked like I'd need to buy one with a size 8 label on for "proper size". As my "proper size" is 36" chest. They vary from style to style they do - but overall "size 8" seems to be around 39" chest (and big hips - and I know I'm same size hips and bust).
    When they say 39" chest - do they mean "We've allowed room for bulky sweaters and the like underneath them" or do they mean "We mean you having a 39" chest".

Who has got a Seasalt raincoat and what do you think?
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 October 2018 at 7:21PM
    Well there's showerproof and there's "drenchproof" :rotfl: and even the top of the range ones won't always cut it in really heavy persistent rain.

I once went to a music festival where we had four seasons in one day. I wore a Barbour waxed jacket and several extra layers for warmth.........even my bra was wet:rotfl:

You can have garments reproofed, dry cleaners will do it or you can buy kits. Most outdoor stores sell them.

Not tried Seasalt myself, they seem to have some nice styles, a bit more modern than Barbour perhaps.

Sizing - personally I always buy oversized for raincoats. I like to be able to wear them over suits or jackets or, if going casual, then So I can allow for chunky winter weight knitwear.

Maman....Love the sound of your trip. I like Manchester. I am toying with Liverpool - some great museums and galleries - for a couple of nights and then maybe a couple of nights in somewhere like Bakewell. I'll see what there is.

I'm having a lazy evening too. Just half watching Strictly. Will be interesting to watch "the dance of shame" ....lol.

Killing EVe is on later. Surreal and bonkers but I'm loving it.
  • Well the other option I was contemplating was Aquascutum - on the grounds I've had one of their raincoats before (years back) and therefore feel it's fair enough to spend an equivalent amount of money again. That would be £700 then:rotfl: But I do know the Chinese have taken over Aquascutum - and therefore there is a chance they may no longer be Aquascutum quality (the name - but not the game).

By and large Seasalt ones seem to come in at around £150 and they do have literally a Lifetime Guarantee on them:D - which I gather they do honour if need be.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think you could well be right about Aquascutum. A lot of premium brands are just not what they were. A victim of outsourcing to the Far East I'm afraid.

I was always a Jaegar fan, but they are definitely not what they were.

I think if Seasalt offer a guarantee then at £150 they are probably a very good bet. Do any of the outlet villages stock them. Apparently one of the marinas near me now stock Seasalt at good prices but I have not been yet.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't have a Seasalt raincoat myself but SIL has a lot of their stuff including a waterproof parka type coat. I'd go for a larger size myself as like LL says you would be able to wear it with layers underneath in colder weather.

Do they have a branch in your home city where you could see them and try them on?

I like Liverpool too LL. The Walker gallery is excellent and DH says Port Sunlight and the Lady Lever gallery is worth a visit if you have your car. We've stayed at the Premier Inn on Albert Dock. It's not the usual Lego type but in a dock building and a very convenient position. And you get the big, comfy bed with Lenny Henry!:D
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    money I dont have much advice about coats, other then to say I think its best to size up, so that you can wear a jumper underneath your coat.

Today, we had the flooring done in our dining room, hallway and stairs, which was the final step in finishing off the room. We want to get some pictures and soft furnishings to finish off the room, but we arent in any hurry. We are going to invite our family around for a meal so they can see the new room. It was quite a big project for us, as the dining room open plan to the hallway and stairs, plus we had building works, new carpets and dining furniture.

We managed to take the old carpet to the tip today, as well. The tip can get really busy, to the point where cars are queuing in the road outside, so I try and go early. Luckily, there was no queue today and I even managed to get a prime parking spot.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 12:12AM
    I think you could well be right about Aquascutum. A lot of premium brands are just not what they were. A victim of outsourcing to the Far East I'm afraid.

I was always a Jaegar fan, but they are definitely not what they were.

I think if Seasalt offer a guarantee then at £150 they are probably a very good bet. Do any of the outlet villages stock them. Apparently one of the marinas near me now stock Seasalt at good prices but I have not been yet.

Don't know re outlet villages - as there isn't one anywhere remotely near me.

It was only quite recently Aquascutum was taken over by the Chinese - so they "may" still be Aquascutum - ie rather than inferior make with the Aquascutum name and price tag attached iyswim.

I know I've got a pair of Hunter boots apparently - but I'm not sure they really are Hunter or whether they were made after Hunter were taken over and so are look-alikes with the Hunter tag on them.

It does look to be a struggle to get normal standard clothing still these days. Hence I'm glad I kept my older clothes that I still like - though I'm awaiting fitting back into them.

I did go out tonight with a suedette skirt on from decades past - only Marks & Spencers (but it was before they downgraded their quality). It's a real size 12 one (ie the label says "size 12/26" waist/37" hips) on it. But, in fairness, it's not got a waistline as such - it's an elastic strip all round the inside of it and that has expanded as I went up to label size 16 (ie 3-4 sizes expansion). So it's now starting to threaten to descend round my ankles. I shall have to see if the clothes alterer I found can swop that and get it back to real size 12.

I was wearing that skirt tonight and my colour scheme was black and brown with gold and gold-plated jewellery. Got a compliment of "I really like your outfit" from someone:D. Yay - someone called it an "outfit". Maybe I'm getting this "outfit" thing worked out:D

Re Seasalt - that is one of the few bits of clothing I can find round here in my style. Not very much of it - but there is a bit - and I imagine I should be able to get a shop that stocks them to order in any bits I want for me. I've learnt one of the ways of operating here for what chain shops there are here is to check out the website and then, almost certainly, the shop here will be too small to have it - but should order it in for me. I had to get the local Dorothy Perkins to order in the leggings I'd decided on for me - that rather surprises me that they had standard length ones here (ie for 5'6" women), but not petite ones. Most of the women in this area of the country are as short as I am - so I would have thought they'd be more likely to have the petite ones here.
  • I thought size 12 used to be a 24" waist and 36" hip. I'm sure it was in the 70s as I had babies and went up from a 10. I definitely didn't have a 26" waist. Maybe makes varied?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure