IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Not allowed to park at work

Hi,
Can anyone help with this....I work in a retail park where if you stay more than 3 hours you put your number plate into a machine which are located in every store for staff to input for themselves or for the public if they stay longer than the limit. However we Are the only store on the retail park not allowed to do this and exempt ourselves (unless if you are a manager or part of security). We have found somewhere to park (which they didn’t help with) but it’s a 15 minute walk. Their is Atleast 300 free spaces a day and only 20 of us that aren’t allowed to park. Is their a law against this or anything I can bring up with the employer not letting us park? Thanks.

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 3:55PM
    Tashyar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone help with this....I work in a retail park where if you stay more than 3 hours you put your number plate into a machine which are located in every store for staff to input for themselves or for the public if they stay longer than the limit. However we Are the only store on the retail park not allowed to do this and exempt ourselves (unless if you are a manager or part of security). We have found somewhere to park (which they didn’t help with) but it’s a 15 minute walk. Their is Atleast 300 free spaces a day and only 20 of us that aren’t allowed to park. Is their a law against this or anything I can bring up with the employer not letting us park? Thanks.

There is no law against this. Perhaps the retail companies have decided not to pay the landowner for parking to save money.

Do you have a union rep who can help? Short of all the workers getting together to negotiate this I don't see a solution.
    Parking at work is a perk not a right. Many people have to pay to park in commercial and council car parks when they go to work.

Is there an option to pay and display, or buy a permit for parking?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Does your contract of employment have an entitlement to park. If not, no entitlement to park.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No this is not against the law. You're employer can tell you where you can, or conversely cannot park; that includes residential areas nearby.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    "Their is At least 300 free spaces"........so just park in one of those,i think your over complicating it

At the end of the day its a private car park......which may or may not be patrolled by cowboys issuing invoices
  • gardner1 wrote: »
    "Their is At least 300 free spaces"........so just park in one of those,i think your over complicating it

At the end of the day its a private car park......which may or may not be patrolled by cowboys issuing invoices

I note the OK said "work" , not many people work for LESS than 3 hours

3 hrs was the time quoted by the OP on parking restrictions on the site

OP

change jobs , catch a bus , but do not park there for 8hrs plus WITHOUT permission or you will be back on this forum moaning about multiple tickets
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    I note the OK said "work" , not many people work for LESS than 3 hours

3 hrs was the time quoted by the OP on parking restrictions on the site

OP

change jobs , catch a bus , but do not park there for 8hrs plus WITHOUT permission or you will be back on this forum moaning about multiple tickets

I think you mean invoices
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No this is not against the law. You're employer can tell you where you can, or conversely cannot park; that includes residential areas nearby.

That's a dangerous route for an employer to go down. Not allowing employees to use the businesses parking is one thing but dictating where they can legally park on the public highway is another thing entirely.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Johno100 wrote: »
    That's a dangerous route for an employer to go down. Not allowing employees to use the businesses parking is one thing but dictating where they can legally park on the public highway is another thing entirely.
    No it's not. Companies can set whatever rules they want.

And frankly not upsetting the neighbours / customers is a very good reason to do so
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No it's not. Companies can set whatever rules they want.

And frankly not upsetting the neighbours / customers is a very good reason to do so

Well as long as the company/organisation is prepared to take responsibility for the personal safety of the employees they're forcing to park a distance from their premises then that's OK.
  • NO company can tell an employee NOT to park on a public road

however this may cause friction if the OP disregards this , but having said that , how can an employee LEGALLY get the VRN of the employee,

getting someone to follow / check when not on shift would result in "follower" getting two fingers poked in there eyes by me , other people may just ring police and report a stalker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure