Issues with British Airways

Hi All,
Looking for some advice/ bright ideas etc.
We flew with BA from Heathrow to Toronto on 4th Sept for our 10 day honeymoon. My suitcase was left behind by BA at Heathrow. We filled out everything and was told it would be sent over and delivered to us. Informed them of our movements and gave addresses of the places we where going to be staying at.
Basically despite what the tracking service said and their own staff, the bag never made it to Canada and we collected it when we flew back to Heathrow.
On the 18th we wrote and emailed BA asking to be reimbursed our expenses, sending copies of receipts and bills. We did not ask for a penny more.
On the 25th had a reply basically saying they may only pay for the clothes I bought whilst out in Canada and nothing more. Our total expense was over £600 :shocked:
I replied on the 26th as their reasons did not stack up and have heard nothing since.
Ive Tweeted and have been told they can do nothing it's with Customer Relations. We emailed the CEO of BA yesterday. Surprise no answer.
My travel insurance will not cover all our expenses either :(

If anyone has had a similar experience, if anyone has advise, we would be really grateful to hear from you.
Many Thanks
J

Comments

• MrsHQ wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Looking for some advice/ bright ideas etc.
    We flew with BA from Heathrow to Toronto on 4th Sept for our 10 day honeymoon. My suitcase was left behind by BA at Heathrow. We filled out everything and was told it would be sent over and delivered to us. Informed them of our movements and gave addresses of the places we where going to be staying at.
    Basically despite what the tracking service said and their own staff, the bag never made it to Canada and we collected it when we flew back to Heathrow.
    On the 18th we wrote and emailed BA asking to be reimbursed our expenses, sending copies of receipts and bills. We did not ask for a penny more.
    On the 25th had a reply basically saying they may only pay for the clothes I bought whilst out in Canada and nothing more. Our total expense was over £600 :shocked:
    I replied on the 26th as their reasons did not stack up and have heard nothing since.
    Ive Tweeted and have been told they can do nothing it's with Customer Relations. We emailed the CEO of BA yesterday. Surprise no answer.
    My travel insurance will not cover all our expenses either :(

If anyone has had a similar experience, if anyone has advise, we would be really grateful to hear from you.
    Many Thanks
    J

What expenses other than clothes are you expecting them to reimburse?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wait until you hear back from them and then take it from there. If I understand you correctly they haven't refused to reimburse anything yet. If the other items you purchased are things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, etc. I would expect you to get the money back for that.
  • MrsHQ
    MrsHQ Posts: 6 Forumite
    I brought clothes to replace the ones I thought where lost, as BA could not locate my bag. So its these as well as my phone bill. I'm a bit old fashioned and wanted to talk to a person for answers etc. They have said they would not pay for these call as they have Twitter available 24/7 and the luggage tracker app. The app said my bag was found and on the way to me (so was obviously incorrect).
    They have also said they would not reimburse me for the clothes I bought to replace the ones I believed were lost in the case, as I got the case back.
    HAS ANYONE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE???
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Strange that you can't scrape £600 between BA and insurance - there's obviously something that one/other/both aren't happy with.

Given they're also rejecting phone costs then you've either got yourself a bad customer service person or you've !!!!ed them off in some way

What's the split of costs and what have they offered ?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 2:24PM
    You may have a problem if you replaced everything in the bag.
    You knew the bag had been found although you were misled about when you would get it. The expectation would be that you bought just what you needed to keep you going until the bag was returned. Not full replacements for everything that was in it, which it sounds as if what you have done.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MrsHQ
    At the time I bought the clothing to replace what was in the bag, I did not know the bag had been found.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2018 at 3:22PM
    Yes, but you wouldn't normally replace all the contents of the bag in one go if your suitcase had gone awol. It's not unusual for luggage to take days (or sometimes weeks) to reappear. I suspect they may be looking at what could be considered essential replacements and what you bought that wasn't strictly neccessary at the time and that's where the discrepancy is coming in.
    Lots of people take clothes away with them that they don't strictly need - 3 tops instead of one in case you can't decide which goes best with the trousers. For example.
    If you want the claim paid you're going to need to evidence why you needed it at that point and why the purchases couldn't wait for your bag to show up again. It really does depend on what you bought and why.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jpsartre
    MrsHQ wrote: »
    They have also said they would not reimburse me for the clothes I bought to replace the ones I believed were lost in the case, as I got the case back.

Your bag was delayed, not lost. What they'll reimburse are essential purchases, e.g. clothes you needed during the wait, toiletries, etc. I've had bags delayed with BA and other airlines many times and have yet to have a claim for reimbursement denied.
  • MrsHQ
    There is much more to this than I put down. I just wanted to know if anyone else had been through similar and ask their advise.
    The bag was lost, surely delayed would indicate I received it whilst stainless on honeymoon/holiday. BA did not know where it was.
  • jpsartre
    Tecnically, a bag isn't lost until it's been delayed more than 21 days. We can't read your minds so if there's relevant information you're leaving out you'll have to tell us if you want better advice. In general, things are as I said, i.e. you'll get reimbursed for essential purchases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure