PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• marns
    marns Posts: 30 Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    I sometimes cook a jacket and then scoop some out ,bung an egg into the hole and replace it with the scooped out bit and return to either my remoska or the microwave for a few minutes to cook it, great little lunch with just a spud and an egg :):)
    Will have to try that! I love scooping out the middle and mixing it with chedder, fried onion and tinned sweetcorn and popping back in the oven/under the grill to crisp the top. I'm usually cooking for 2/3 so I do an extra couple for the freezer...just take them out in the morning and whack then i the oven for half an hour after work.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    marns I make sure the spud is virtually ready to eat and normally a few minutes with the egg inside and the 'lid' put back on will cook it through ,not too long though as you want it to be more or less just set and not hard like a scotch egg :):)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just been out for an Indian. We had bhaji, curries, rice , chips n naan, then coffees, n soft drinks , n it was only £24 for two of us:eek:Added to which I've brought tons of it home :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 October 2018 at 9:04PM
    Hubby and I both enjoyed leftovers from Sunday dinner for our lunch and dinner today. Will finish the meat up over the next two days.
    Froze the remaining stuffing.
    The rest of the chocolate cake has been frozen for another day.

Yesterday, SIL bought up my Christmas pickled onions, some chutney and carrots. I gave her some homemade tomato ketchup, barbecue sauce, sweet fruit chutney and a gooseberry and orange marmalade. It is great to swap food with family.

Cut up and cooked some aubergines from the garden, then packed them away into a box and frozen down. All ready to add to a moussaka.

Stewed down four cooking apples ready to make a pudding later in the year. (Come from Mum's garden).

Hubby and I went to a quiz on Saturday night and our team won. We won two boxes of Elizabeth Shaw mints - we have put them away for Christmas. We also won a box of Roses in the raffle those we are enjoying at the moment.

Ordered a whole lamb from the local farm. The lambs have had a good life out in the fields. It is much cheaper than buying it in individual pieces and you are able to use all the bits that you can't buy.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I once made the mistake of buying half a pig with my friend Golly I have never seen so much meat I ended up giving half of it away as my freezer was bulging :) Hope you have the room for a lamb :)

Nice going with the home made Christmas gifts My sis-in-law makes me delicious onion chutney for christmas and also a tiny christmas cake as I am the only one in the family who eats christmas cake I adore getting home made food for a present ,to me it means so much more than a box of body lotions or similar (which normally end up at the women's refuge as I don't use the stuff )

Home-made shortbread is delicious, and I make some for my friends who are not bakers, but love a small treat.

Taking the time to make something for someone with them in mind to me is very precious and shows how much you care for that person

No cooking tonight for me as its Quiz night at the pub :):):) £2.00 all in and I get fed a bargain I think

JackieO xx
  • Same dinner two nights running :D HB recipe - Somerset Chicken with boiled potatoes & vegetables. Absolutely scrumptious & not a bit left :T
    Have also used up some baking ingredients to make rock cakes.
    I am now over the disappointment of not having shepherds pie for lunch on Monday :rotfl: After all the fox did catch & dispose of a rat a few nights ago :T so he deserves his treats :rotfl:

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Slightly odd question - I've had to pick all of the little pears off my weeping pear tree, as the dogs were killing all the plants underneath trampling them and eating the pears. I've got quite a lot of pears and wonder if they can be used for anything, eg chutney.

The poor tree is on borrowed time, as I'd rather have a tree which produces edible pears, and now I can't even have the pleasure of looking at the ornamental pears on the tree since we adopted piggy pug :(. I planted it 20 years ago but the last few years growing my own fruit and veg has become more and more important to me
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Still quite incapacitated getting concerned about veggies I bought, have left,2 caulis, bit of broccoli, cabbage, 2 bags of kale, swede, would normally have something cooked most days, seem to be living on something on toast at the moment.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Slightly odd question - I've had to pick all of the little pears off my weeping pear tree, as the dogs were killing all the plants underneath trampling them and eating the pears. I've got quite a lot of pears and wonder if they can be used for anything, eg chutney.

The poor tree is on borrowed time, as I'd rather have a tree which produces edible pears, and now I can't even have the pleasure of looking at the ornamental pears on the tree since we adopted piggy pug :(. I planted it 20 years ago but the last few years growing my own fruit and veg has become more and more important to me

I recently made a apple and pear chutney. Haven't tried any yet as it's maturing but it smelt nice. A few years ago I made jars of pickled pears which were delicious with custard.
    I always include pears in a crumble so normally peel and dice them and freeze them for the winter.
    Hope that helps.
  • pamsdish wrote: »
    Still quite incapacitated getting concerned about veggies I bought, have left,2 caulis, bit of broccoli, cabbage, 2 bags of kale, swede, would normally have something cooked most days, seem to be living on something on toast at the moment.

How about washing, chopping & freezing OR cooking & making soup to freeze.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback