PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Comments

• cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi MSE vegans :hello:

We have started taking meal planning seriously as my veggie DS went away to uni recently leaving us skint. With only me and DD left in the house, both vegan, it is much easier to focus on the meal plans now and save money (though I miss him loads).

Today we have batch cooked the gram flour mini quiches that Viking posted about below. I can confirm they are great! Ours are flavoured with sun dried tomatoes, spring onions, jalapenos and nooch. So with a spinach salad that's the lunches sorted for the week.

Dinners for the next few days will be dal with sides of green veg. DD is a fan of Dr Greger's Daily Dozen so we try to throw in seeds, greens, berries etc in meals whenever possible. Doesn't matter if it looks random, it's cheap and healthy!

Viking_mfw wrote: »
    Just made these gram flour mini quiches for lunch and they were delicious:
    http://powerhungry.com/2015/01/chickpea-flour-quiches-vegan-grain-free-gluten-free/

Posting here because I literally googled 'gram flour recipes' because for some reason we've been stockpiling the stuff!
  • Black chickpea and potato wat made yesterday.....really cheap and tasty:

Onion, potatoes, tin of black chickpeas, stock, berbere spice mix; dry fry the spices in a pan for a few minutes until fragrant, grind in pestle and mortar and return to pan. Add a dash of oil and chopped onion and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add potatoes, stir to cover with the spices then add chickpeas & stock. Cook until potatoes are tender and stock has reduced & thickened.

Any cooked bean would do - although if using anything other than chick peas or kidney beans I would add the beans later in the cooking process so that they don't turn to mush! ;)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,481
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Never beard of black chickpeas, where do you get those?

Denise
  • Hi Joe Denise, I got mine from Suma - they are a bit smaller than normal chickpeas and a bit harder....no difference in taste though! ;)

got to say that I probably won't buy them again as I prefer fatter, softer beans but if you do bean salads it's a nice way to add a bit of colour variety:)
  • Yep....I've got a can of black chickpeas yet to experiment with. They're Suma brand and I bought them from my local natural food shop.
  • joedenise
    Forumite
    Hi Joe Denise, I got mine from Suma - they are a bit smaller than normal chickpeas and a bit harder....no difference in taste though! ;)

got to say that I probably won't buy them again as I prefer fatter, softer beans but if you do bean salads it's a nice way to add a bit of colour variety:)

Thanks. Don't think I'll bother then. I like softer beans. Normal chickpeas are hard enough for me. Not that I have them very often as unfortunately they don't agree with DH's stomach:eek::
  • Me too joedenise - I'm trying to get hold of some large chickpeas at the moment, I had some in a winter salad at a local restaurant and they were beautiful....trouble is all the ones I have found are eyewateringly expensive:eek: Off to London next week so really hoping that I can source some there.....your poor dh - life without chickpeas would be hard!!!:rotfl:
  • joedenise
    Forumite
    He's not completely without chickpeas as can cope with them in hummous although prefers it made with softer beans like haricot or butter beans.

Denise
  • I buckled and bought the chickpeas online :o got quite a few packs to minimise the expenditure on postage so don't feel too bad ;)

Anyhoo....as a result, I had a bit of a cooking day on sunday :D I made a chickpea and buckwheat salad with harissa; berbere potatoes; grapefruit, orange and pomegranate salad and carrots with a maple, orange and Dijon dressing....lush!!

I've still got a load of the cooked chickpeas in the fridge so I'm going to make chickpea curry, a butternut squash and chickpea casserole and if there are any left, I'll make some hommous.

I've realised that I am not eating much green stuff at the moment - mainly because I haven't been out since returning from London so I am going to get dh to pop to the market today and buy some - in all honesty, I don't even care what it is....just need green! :rotfl:
  • joedenise
    Forumite
    I always keep a selection of frozen veg in store. Can't be without my green stuff!

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure