Care Home fees.

Comments

• Comms 69. The carers charge considerably more.
    Mojisola: Yes she would be an employee. Would this cause problems in the future when the time comes for her to enter a care home. That is, would the Local Authority try to claw back the payments my wife would receive?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Comms 69. The carers charge considerably more.
    Mojisola: Yes she would be an employee. Would this cause problems in the future when the time comes for her to enter a care home. That is, would the Local Authority try to claw back the payments my wife would receive?

Carers do not make £12.50 per hour.

The company may charge more but then they have large overheads, like public liability insurance, CQC regulations and so forth.
  • Linton it would benefit the Mother. She would have a better quality of life.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    So approx. £12.50 an hour, to care for your own mum.

Nice work if you can get it...

Pretty poor pay for what is involved IMO.

That's why the care is crap BTW.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

No.

But as she is her mother's attorney, it would be best to take advice about whether she can, effectively, employ herself (as she would be acting in her mother's place as the employer).

It would probably be less messy to go for Carers Allowance if she will be caring for 35 hours or, if not, employ outside carers, if the home allows that.
  • Comms69
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Pretty poor pay for what is involved IMO.

That's why the care is crap BTW.
    £25,000 a year FT equiv - to care for your own parent??
  • It would cost my MIL less.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Comms69 wrote: »
    £25,000 a year FT equiv - to care for your own parent??

Why not?

My relative gives his father much better consistent care than he was getting with the 'professional' carers. He gave up work in order to be available and his Dad much prefers having him around.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 August 2018 at 3:17PM

She would not be paying twice for care. What the carers would no longer be doing they would not be getting paid for.

Are you sure about that? Have you had the conversation with the provider? I think that you would need to check the practicalities if you've not already done so. Plus a plan B for if your wife is unwell/on holiday/not able to attend as arranged. Would they be willing to step in with short term support in those situations?

I don't think the LA would be looking to claw back money for care homes in these circumstances but you do need to demonstrate that any decisions are equitable and in MILS best interests.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Comms69
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Why not?

My relative gives his father much better consistent care than he was getting with the 'professional' carers. He gave up work in order to be available and his Dad much prefers having him around.

Because 'you do, for family'.

I would never accept money for something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure