Direct debit question

I set up a 12 month DD and six months in the company has contacted name to say it was never processed and now I must pay the full six months and set it up again. I'm not sure yet whose mistake this was.

Just wondered if I am responsible legally speaking to sort this out, or could it be argued that if the company failed to take the money I have no duty to pay up ?

Expecting I am though.

:beer:

Comments

• Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:34PM
    Did you not notice that the DDr was not being taken?

I could be wrong but I suspect the DDr is a bit of a red herring here. The real issue is presumably that you have entered into a contract with a company and that means they are bound by its terms to provide whatever the goods/services are and you are bound by its terms to pay for them - or you may be in breach of contract even if it was their fault for not setting up the payment schedule properly.

On top of that, if this is connected with some kind of credit agreement, there could be repercussions for your credit rating if you don't pay up. It's usually best to be honest about things and play it straight.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I set up a 12 month DD and six months in the company has contacted name to say it was never processed and now I must pay the full six months and set it up again. I'm not sure yet whose mistake this was.

Just wondered if I am responsible legally speaking to sort this out, or could it be argued that if the company failed to take the money I have no duty to pay up ?

Expecting I am though.

:beer:

Have you made any payments? What was the DD for?

If you have not then yes you still have to pay up, as i'm assuming you have still had the goods or service, but not paid for them due to an error, sounds like their error and they are rectifying the issue and asking for payment.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Yes I have used the service, there was no credit in operation, I just wondered if they neglected to take payment if it was their problem not mine. They would have failed to uphold the DD contract not me ?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes I have used the service, there was no credit in operation, I just wondered if they neglected to take payment if it was their problem not mine. They would have failed to uphold the DD contract not me ?
    As they are not charging you any late payment fees, you don't have a leg to stand on. You received / are receiving a service, and you had agreed to pay for it, so you'd be well advised to pay before they hand over the bad debt to a debt management company.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just because the DD mandate was not processed, does not mean you get out of the service agreement or out of paying for the service you have agreed to. Did you notice it not going out and assume you had a freebie?

You will need to pay for the service you had, if you can't pay it straight away you may see if they are willing to give you time to pay.
  • Yes I have used the service, there was no credit in operation, I just wondered if they neglected to take payment if it was their problem not mine. They would have failed to uphold the DD contract not me ?

The DDR is just the method of paying; it isn't essentially part of the contract; which is to supply services to you in exchange for payment for them.

If you are receiving a service on a monthly basis in return for monthly payments then you are probably right that there is no credit agreement in operation but if you are receiving an annual service (e.g. insurance premium) in return for monthly payments then it might amount to a credit agreement. You will know which is which by checking what you signed for when taking out the contract.

It may also help to imagine it the other way around. If you were owed money for providing a service (e.g. your wages for your job) and some error in the payment process meant the wages didn't reach you, would you let them off?

I suggest you pay up soonest unless you fancy winging it and risking a knock at the door from two big burly men with a high court writ.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If the money hasn't been taken then surely you can make a 1 off payment. You owe the money so pay it.
  • Just wondered.

I fully intend to pay it, its not a problem.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just wondered.

I fully intend to pay it, its not a problem.
    Just wondered what? If there was some angle you could play to say you don't owe it :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure