PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yummy roast pork for tea tonight (should have been our new year's day roast) with plenty of leftovers. Will have some tomorrow for tea and the rest will go in the freezer for a later date.

No mending done as yet, the pile is sitting there though so just have to get to it, lacked motivation over the weekend due to feeling awful. I still sound dreadful but definitely feel better :)

Did a quick food shop yesterday to get a few things. Morrison's has loose eggs and you take the egg box back to fill up. Actually remembered to take the box with me which I'm really pleased about. Less to go into the recycling bin and part of me moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. Unfortunately did not see any ys bargains while I was there.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Make do: made meals from stores
    Minimise: well went to dds to help her clear her rented house (shes bought one) so I have a car full of stuff to cs and take to the tip, so I will count that.
    Mend: None today as Ive been out most of it.#
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make do with food from freezer and using up veg. Didn't have quite enough potatoes for mash so stretched then with a parsnip which needed eating.
    Minimised the rubbish from the garden. Bits of metal and plastic that we keep digging up.
    Mend the lid on my coffee machine.
  • Hippyhippyshake
    Options
    I'm new to this forum, can I join in please? I'm trying to minimise this year. There are plenty of things going to the CS but I'm in a quandary over hand/shopping bags. Some are not good enough to go to the CS but too good to throw away....any suggestions? I have an old tan leather handbag that I would like to recycle/upcycle any ideas please?
    I'm also working through my freezer contents. I have loads of food bought by OH as a 'treat' but have not been eaten. Langoustines, lobster, pigs in blankets, there are only two of us!
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    DOH has successfully extended the single day bed into a double bed. He's built an extension and I now have a double bed. Saved us a fortune!

Also mended my work shoes which had holes, a broken insole and a broken shoelace. I was panicking as I didn't think I would have any shoes to wear to work this morning - but where there's a will there's a way.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    miss empty piggy - great that your OH was able to extend the bed and you were able to fix your shoes :D

Welcome to the thread Hippyhippyshake, lovely to have you. Don't have any suggestions about the handbags but sure someone else will. Certainly wish my freezer contents were as exciting as yours :rotfl: yum!

My mend for today was fixing my fitbit as it hadn't been syncing for a few day. Googled what to do and it seems to be working fine now.

I'm currently working my way through a big S&G body lotion that has a pump at the top. Nothing more coming out of the pump but the bottle was still about a quarter full so have cut the top off. Will probably get at least a week's more use out of it :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • kittydfw2012
    Options
    Yes love the ingenuity of miss empty piggy and her clever husband for making a double bed, absolute result as beds are massively expensive even for cheap ones if that makes any sense.

I've been in the wars a bit with a cold, a bruised finger that was swollen enough for me to start catostrophising that I was going to have it amputated (Gosh I'm a drama queen!) and horrendous PMS (at 46, I'm sure the big M is on its way and my hormones do really affect things on several days) so not been able to get on with good MMMing as much as I'd hoped. Thankfully, all the above seem to be heading off to bug someone else so am hoping for a productive day of tidying, dog walking, cooking and some admin.

Make do: Fancied pudding last night but didn't have a lot of fresh stuff in so managed to convince OH to make ground rice with strawberry jam - comfort food, yum.

Mend: glued the paper section of a magnetic notebook back onto its cardboard backing so I could put it on my fridge for quick note making about food/shopping etc.

Minimise: Thankfully, the Christmas cake is now gone :) Minimised a small swede into swede and carrot mash. Also made a roast dinner with leftover turkey and gravy from the Christmas dinner which was AMAZING even if I say so myself :)

I've noticed a lot of food references which probably accounts for also needing to minimise me significantly this year. Oh well, time for breakfast. Have a good day everyone x
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mended: 5 pairs of girl's winter tights, 1 sleeping bag bag, 1 cardi, 1 pair of underpants.

Minimise: decided to not mend two school backpacks. They were cheap and are falling apart at all the seams. Husband's work sweater has a hole in the middle of the chest, which cannot be mended invisibly, so that's also in the ragbag.

Make do: trying to empty fridge, freezer and pantry, eating maybe not what we want, but what is there. I lost my job two months ago and received almost a year's compensation, and husband has a job and a company car. We are nowhere near suffering, but I want to try and keep the compensation pay safe as long as possible.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the job Siebrie :A
  • kittydfw2012
    Options
    Mend: repainted the tops of a nest of wooden tables with white antique furniture paint bought from Ald! for £5 a while ago. When there are marks from coffee cups etc, I just give them a lick of paint and they look brand new again.

Make do: nothing comes to mind

Minimise: Dog's insurance bill. New premiums came through at nearly £300 for a year with a £100 excess, 30% copay and exclusions. When I did claim on the policy last year, it took ages and they tried their best to get out of paying and even then it was only around £100 which was only a fraction of what I've paid them over the years. I recently got a voluntary redundancy payout so was able to pay some debts off and be in a more secure financial position (although no job so the money has to last until I do secure work) so I've decided to self insure and joined The Dogs Trust as a member for £25 for the whole year which provides public liability insurance (important when you have a daft dog that could well cause an accident or the like), veterinary advice hotline 24/7, taking care of your dog in the event you die and being able to support a great charity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure