Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Options

Comments

• slliw
    slliw Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    u pay for small SUV, u pick from small range SUV
    u pay for standard size, u pick from standard..
    u pay for Full size, u pick from full size...
    same for cars :)

For ref:
    They have the Nissan Rogue as Intermediate SUV.... (small)
    In the UK, that's a Nissan X-Trail...
    Standard is: Santa Fe (same car over here)
    Full size can be: Ford Explorer (range rover), and Expedition (nice big SUV)

Pay for a intermediate SUV if u don't mind that say, and slip the guy in the garage $20 and ask if he can put u in something bigger :)

Thanks Stuie, small size should be fine. Ideally I'm looking for something like entry level nissan qashqai size :)
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When we were at the Avis desk last week ( small SUV ) she said she only had Nissan Rogue or a Jeep.
    We chose the jeep. Before we left the garage there was a problem with a tyre. We then changed to a Toyoto Rav4. There was no mention of it when we were at desk tho!
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    slliw wrote: »
    Only two of us in our party snip...............

Slliw, If you follow Stuie's recommendations you shouldn't go far wrong. If the rental guy can't upgrade for a $20 bribe then he/she shouldn't take it so nothing lost.

The only rental agency that I have been given a nominated car without being able to pick form a selection was Europcar who use Advantage.

I suppose it will depend how busy the agency is or stock availability whether they will upgrade you.
    Good luck
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I went to Vegas about 10 years ago but life has changed quite a bit since then!

Going on a road trip with our 3 year old daughter (we're aware Vegas isn't a kids destination but she has other parts of the trip suited to her :) )

As we probably won't get another chance to experience it and were looking for somewhere we can just chill by a pool we've decided to stop there for 5 nights as part of our itinerary. Also, we may have some friends coming over during this time.

Anyway, the question is this.... I was looking at somewhere like Excalibur as the little one is obsessed with castles and it seems like a decent and cheap location whilst also on the strip. However we would consider other places.

I recall the $20 trick worked for me last time and in the spirit of MSE I really don't want to pay the much higher prices for a fancy room if I can negotiate something when I get there.

However if I end up in a crap room or we don't have an extra bed for the little one then I'd prefer to avoid that.

So what strategy best to employ here? Or am I expecting too much for a Vegas bargain 10 years on?
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    The Excalibur is not the bargain it was 10 years ago .A reasonable room with a view costs around $40+midweek and the resort fee is $35 and car parking $10 per day all plus taxes.
    The place has improved its rooms and wifi is part of the resort fee .It is still the most child friendly place on the strip.
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Due to the amount that resort fees are now on the strip i would suggest paying a bit more and getting a nicer room in a nicer hotel.

Signature at MGM can be had quite cheaply as they are often owned and rented out, on booking.com

The days of $30 rooms all in are long gone.
  • Hackers76
    Hackers76 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Could do worse than look at Tropicana, the pool there is fantastic
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone... one other question.

I noticed the room prices go up quite a bit if I book for 3 people. A room with 2 queen beds is more than fine for us two and a 3 year old. If I book this, am I likely to get stung with huge charges when I get there?
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Book a queen room for the 2 beds... and say 2 peeps in room, don't say 3 !
    Try and turn up to the check-in desk with just 1 or 2 of u.....

We are a party of 3, and only 1 or 2 of us goto the check-in desk (last year, and will do same next month)
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    Book a queen room for the 2 beds... and say 2 peeps in room, don't say 3 !
    Try and turn up to the check-in desk with just 1 or 2 of u.....

We are a party of 3, and only 1 or 2 of us goto the check-in desk (last year, and will do same next month)
    Worked for us a few time too. This is what I would do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure