Credit Card Debt

Hello everyone,

I have a CCJ on my credit file for a credit card debt which was issued at my previous address dated November 2014 but only just noticed this in October 2018 by a routine check on my credit file. I moved houses in August 2014.

I contacted the claimant accordingly and advised them if they would set aside by consent order rather than court hearing as it was entered incorrectly. The claimant refused to sign and responded saying they have entered it correctly.

I have forwarded them my council tax bill for August 2014 to prove but still not accepting. I’m really confused what to do in this situation. If I make application to court what if the judge dismisses my application which will incur a cost of £255 plus they will cover their cost.

Also they hold a charging order on my old address which I don’t know nothing about and still own the property.

Can someone please advise me on this if I should proceed court action.

Thanks

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    if you still own the property do you not get the mail from there? Did you not have mail redirected when you moved. If you haven't notified them of a change of address and haven't collected your mail then you haven't really got a defence
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sheb1
    Sheb1 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi,

I have notified the creditor when I moved but for some reason they still sent mails to the old address.
  • Sheb1
    Sheb1 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I’ve been following up mails but the tenant said nothing has come under my name.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    How did you find out about the charging order?
    On what basis do you intend to have the ccj set aside? If it is because of the incorrect address and assuming that you are successful they will simply apply for a new ccj at your current address which will remain on your credit files for 6 years from the date that it is obtained.
    Have you repaid the debt?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport