1997 Loan - Can I make a Plevin Claim?

I had a personal Loan with Marks and Spencer way back in 1997/98. I def had PPI on it as I made a claim so remember it clearly, my question is can I make a Claim under Plevin or is this too long ago?. I haven't gone down the route of mis-sold PPI although I only worked 10 hours a week at the time and any claim would probably be quite valid, quite simply because I made a claim, which covered three months payments due to illness.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Plevin does not apply in your scenario.

You could make a complaint about mis-sale, but realise that, even if were upheld, any redress awarded would have the amount you claimed earlier subtracted from it.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The Plevin ruling only applies to credit agreements opened after April 2007 or - for those opened before April 2007 - only those which still had a balance outstanding after April 2008.

So.....if your 1997 loan was paid off before April 2008 then Plevin will NOT apply.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can someone explain why a lender recently wrote to me about Plevin for a loan I repaid in 1996? The previous PPI complaint I made for this loan was rejected four years ago.

to answer the OP's question. It does not matter if you claimed on the policy. You can submit a complaint that it was set up with a single, upfront ppi premium if the loan was unsecured.
  • sun73 wrote: »
    Can someone explain why a lender recently wrote to me about Plevin for a loan I repaid in 1996? The previous PPI complaint I made for this loan was rejected four years ago.

I have a similar issue. M&S bank recently sent an unsolicited request to me inviting me to enquire about PPI mis-selling. I had already approached M&S bank some years ago when they awarded me £8. They have now awarded me a further £23 compensation.
    My question is: Are all banks obligated to write to me inviting me to re-enquire about PPI and/or Plevin. I had a sad period in my life when I had a number of loans, credit cards and general debt. Do I have to write to each lender again to re-enquire about PPI/Plevin even though they previously told me that I had no claim (due to no PPI attached to loans)?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    loughlini wrote: »
    Do I have to write to each lender again to re-enquire about PPI/Plevin even though they previously told me that I had no claim (due to no PPI attached to loans)?
    Plevin only applies to rejected complaints certainly, but if there was no PPI to complain about in the first place then you will never receive a refund; Plevin or otherwise.

Do note also that the Plevin Ruling applies to credit agreements opened after April 2007 or - for those opened before April 2007 - only those which still had a balance outstanding after April 2008.

So by all means write to your old lenders, but not to those who said you had no PPI and probably not to those who lent to you prior to 2007.
  • Just got a cheque for £0.02 from M&S as a settlement to a previous PPI claim. I wonder how much it cost them to process that ?
  • loughlini wrote: »
    Just got a cheque for £0.02
    I'd frame it! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills