Car finance

Hi,
I'm self employed and my tax returns don't show a huge income. I've taken on some extra work including a clinical trial to boost my income. I usually buy sub £1k cars for cash and usually end up paying quite a bit on their maintenance. I've just got a very well paid job that doesn't start until the summer. My current car is dying. I'd like to buy a nearly new or new car. Is there a finance method that is more likely to accept me for a car purchase in the near future in my self employed status? I think I'd like to buy a new Skoda, reliability and low costs are important to me. Any pointers to great value deals or advice are very gratefully received.
M

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 February 2019 at 9:57AM
    You will need to secure finance based on your current cucumstances / finances. (No lender is going to give you a loan based on what you might be earning at some point in the future.) Finance on cars is generally easier to obtain as the loan is secured against the vehicle. I would talk to a couple of dealers and see what they offer. Beware PCP deals and, if you do go for one, make sure you understand the T's & C's properly.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your probably better off holding out signing up to car finance until month 6 of your new job. You should be able to save up £250-£300 a month until then (the finance payments on the new car) - if you haven't managed to save up £1500 by August 2019 then you couldn't of afforded it anyway.

Your welcome.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    reliability and low costs are important to me.
    M

Well you can scrub the second part of that because spending £10,000+ to avoid repairs is not low cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure