Married persons tax allowance

Options
I filled in the form for this, some time ago. I did it on line but never heard anything.
At the time, my husband had retired and got a works pension, with no tax taken off. I worked part time but I earned too little to pay tax. We did pay tax on some of our savings interest. Not a great deal though.
My husband has been in receipt of State Pension for the past 8 months. Up until the beginning of January, I was still working but have left work to retire, due to health reasons. I have a small pension from one of my past employers but will not get state pension for just over two years.
Neither of us pay tax but with the new tax on savings rules, we do not pay any tax on savings interest.
Is it worth me chasing up this married persons tax allowance as I have never had my application acknowledged, and not sure if I need to bother, now.
Keep on trucking!

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cacran wrote: »
    I filled in the form for this, some time ago. I did it on line but never heard anything.
    At the time, my husband had retired and got a works pension, with no tax taken off. I worked part time but I earned too little to pay tax. We did pay tax on some of our savings interest. Not a great deal though.
    My husband has been in receipt of State Pension for the past 8 months. Up until the beginning of January, I was still working but have left work to retire, due to health reasons. I have a small pension from one of my past employers but will not get state pension for just over two years.
    Neither of us pay tax but with the new tax on savings rules, we do not pay any tax on savings interest.
    Is it worth me chasing up this married persons tax allowance as I have never had my application acknowledged, and not sure if I need to bother, now.

If neither of you have enough income to pay tax then you wouldn;t necessary notice if it's been applied as it won't make any difference to either of you. Are you sure it's not been actioned ? If it has your tax codes will end with an N and an M.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I presume you mean Marriage Allowance and not Married Couple's Allowance.

Tax hasn't been deducted from savings interest since April 2016.

Was the tax you paid deducted in 2015:16?

Have either of you paid any tax in 2016:17 or later tax years?

Do you know both yours and your husband's total taxable income for each year ?

From what you've posted I doubt the "new rules" on savings interest actually apply to either of you.

You both may be due refunds but more information is needed to be sure.

Tax is all about the detail.
  • Cacran
    Cacran Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I presume you mean Marriage Allowance and not Married Couple's Allowance.

Tax hasn't been deducted from savings interest since April 2016.

Was the tax you paid deducted in 2015:16?

Have either of you paid any tax in 2016:17 or later tax years?

Do you know both yours and your husband's total taxable income for each year ?

From what you've posted I doubt the "new rules" on savings interest actually apply to either of you.

You both may be due refunds but more information is needed to be sure.

Tax is all about the detail.

The only tax we pain in 2015-16 would have been just that on our savings interest. Neither of us had enough income besides that. Since 2016 when the process changed we did not pay tax on interest. Most of our savings are protected from tax. Not really worth bothering about.

At present neither of us pay tax on our incomes. It might change in two years when I get my State Pension.
    I will take a look at our tax codes. Thank you for your advice.
    Keep on trucking!
  • Cacran
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    If neither of you have enough income to pay tax then you wouldn;t necessary notice if it's been applied as it won't make any difference to either of you. Are you sure it's not been actioned ? If it has your tax codes will end with an N and an M.
    I will take a look at our tax codes. Thank you.
    Keep on trucking!
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    The only tax we pain in 2015-16 would have been just that on our savings interest.

Have you told HMRC about the taxed interest received in 2015:16? Until you do this I doubt there will be any refund forthcoming.
  • Cacran
    Options
    I have not told the HMRC about the tax paid on interest for 2015/16. It would not amount to much, really.
    Keep on trucking!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport