high water bill

hi
our water bill was alarmingly high. We are 4. Water bill was £525 for 6 months. Fresh water £288 n waste water £237. 3 months back united utilities sent us a letter that you are using excessive water. We didnt bother about it. But recently got a bill and I contacted united utilities n they also think 4 members should use 450 litres whereas we have used 730 litres and they think that plumber should trace out the problem n look for internal leak. We have water meter at property. Runs daily dishwasher and no bath we take but daily shower by 1 person and every 5th day 3 washing cycles. we have remote water meter. now plumber if he comes up i would have to pay him £40 for first hour and then £60 for subsequent hour. i tried to estimate my watr bill using water utilities form. it was v diffciult to estmate per week water consumption like how many times toilets were flushed etc but i calculated and it came out that i would be using 930 litres per day (:rotfl:) even more than our water company has estimated. now is it worth that i call plumber n spend around £100. one suggestion was to note meter reading n dont use water for few hours n record the meter reading again, if there would be some leakage then meter reading would have gone up.

Comments

• beenish wrote: »
    hi
    our water bill was alarmingly high. We are 4. Water bill was £525 for 6 months. Fresh water £288 n waste water £237. 3 months back united utilities sent us a letter that you are using excessive water. We didnt bother about it. But recently got a bill and I contacted united utilities n they also think 4 members should use 450 litres whereas we have used 730 litres and they think that plumber should trace out the problem n look for internal leak. We have water meter at property. Runs daily dishwasher and no bath we take but daily shower by 1 person and every 5th day 3 washing cycles. we have remote water meter. now plumber if he comes up i would have to pay him £40 for first hour and then £60 for subsequent hour. i tried to estimate my watr bill using water utilities form. it was v diffciult to estmate per week water consumption like how many times toilets were flushed etc but i calculated and it came out that i would be using 930 litres per day (:rotfl:) even more than our water company has estimated. now is it worth that i call plumber n spend around £100. one suggestion was to note meter reading n dont use water for few hours n record the meter reading again, if there would be some leakage then meter reading would have gone up.
    No Panic. But you had a letter and ignored it!

It is likely you have leak. A leaking toilet can double your bill!

First. Find you stop tap. Turn stop tap off overnight. Take a reading on meter, If this moves overnight, there could be a leak on you inlet pipe. depends where your meter is who is responsible.
    Overnight do not flush your toilets
    If the meter did not move, turn back on the stop tap. If there is a inrush of water, you have a leak!!

Most leaks are concerned with cisterns, most likely is the toilet and the hot water header tank. Check these. The toilet can syphon like a champion.

The header tanks. You will see overflow pipes on you roof near the guttering. If on a fine day you see a pool of water, this is the leak. Also check that outside tap, that leaks as well.

If you fix your leak, some water companies will give a rebate on your last bill if you fix your problem!
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,160 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Last year I suddenly got a huge water bill, rang Wessex Water to query it, they suggested I turn off my water and check the meter, which I did, it was turning slowly. Within 2 hours they had sent a chap to check for them, two days later they had been, dug up the pavement, fixed the leak, replaced the meter and reinstated the pavement, all while I was out shopping! No charge, but I had been warned that if the leak was on my property I would be obliged to get it fixed at my own expense. A week or so later I had a refund of the extra charge on the bill. The water companies are keen to fix leaks, try them first
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure