Returning Flooring

We ordered and paid for some wooden flooring about 6 weeks ago and arranged the fitter for this week. When the fitter arrived he said the floor wouldn’t be suitable for wooden flooring as the levels were out. Having seen how expensive it’s going to be to get it level we decided to go back to carpet.

Calling the store to say we’d like to swap the wooden floor for carpet they said “no”. I was quite surprised by this and wanted to find out my rights.

The returns policy says we can return up to 30 days from purchase but this is where I need some advice. I would think the purchase would be the delivery date? Even still this is terrible customer service.

Some extra info. We’ve ordered carpet at the same time and don’t want to cancel the wood floor (but would like to now) just have more carpet and less wooden floor. The cost of both is about the same.

Comments

• lunker
    lunker Posts: 19 Forumite
    Sorry the 30 days was for online orders. This is the in-store policy.

This policy is in addition to your statutory rights:
    Customers are required to provide a receipt for proof of purchase.
    All items must be returned in original unused condition.
    We do not operate a change of mind policy. Once an order has been placed we are unable to cancel that order due to you as a customer no longer requiring it.
    Stocked Products (with no discount) - 10% of the Original Sale Price can be refunded, exchanged or a Credit Note provided if returned within 14 days of collection and in original unused condition.
    Stocked Products (with discount) !!!8211; No refunds will be offered on discounted sales, however, 10% of the Original Sale Price can be exchanged or a Credit Note provided if returned within 14 days of collection and in original unused condition.
    Special Order Flooring Products !!!8211; No Refunds, Exchanges or Credit Notes can be provided for Special Order Products.
    Order Cancellations !!!8211; No orders can be canceled with us once the order has been made.
    Credit notes are valid for 6 months.

Doesn't seem right to me.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They don't have to accept returns when bought in store so the fact that they will give you something back for certain items that you don't want is a bonus.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    lunker wrote: »
    Doesn't seem right to me.
    It is, as far as the law is concerned. When you buy in-store you've no right to return anything (other than for breach of contract). Many stores do allow returns but it's at their discretion.
  • lunker
    lunker Posts: 19 Forumite
    This I didn't know. I suppose I'm used to better returns polices and stores that want to keep my custom.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    lunker wrote: »
    This I didn't know. I suppose I'm used to better returns polices and stores that want to keep my custom.

The time to realise this is before purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure