PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Address issue

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I see what you mean....I think. Do you share the same letterbox and entrance with Flat 1?
    Not exactly. Flat 1 is the entrance of the original house (and the guys living there only have '9' on their door, I believe they are taking advantage of this and not using the word Flat 1), my entrance is a wooden door next to it (with a sign '9, Flat 2') with its own letterbox (quite huge to be honest) and the main entrance door on the side of the house.
    But if the delivery guys manage to get to the property, it's fairly easy to identify where the Flat 2 is.
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876
    Forumite
    Could they be 9 and you be 9A, would that solve it? It removes the confusion with numbers 1 and 2 further down the road...
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • arciere
    Forumite
    AlexMac wrote: »
    Add a block or flat name? "Cosy Nook"? "Bide-a-wee" or something from Tolkien ( "Mirkwood") or Game of Thrones ("Volantis") if you're of a more fantastical turn of mind?
    Yes, that would be a great idea and I'm sure my wife would agree. The only thing is that I am not sure it will help the poor delivery guys :(
  • arciere
    Forumite
    ceh209 wrote: »
    Could they be 9 and you be 9A, would that solve it? It removes the confusion with numbers 1 and 2 further down the road...
    For some reason it never occurred to me that I could actually give up the 'Flat' word altogether! I quite like the idea, I'll see what Royal Mail says about it.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,777
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why don't you change the sign to a very clear one that corresponds exactly with the Royal Mail Address? "Flat 2, 9 Pigeon Street".

And have a little chat with your neighbour and offer to buy them one too?

You can get a custome made acrylic sign with lettering on for less than £10 on eBay. If they can find where to deliver it :o

My friend lives on a street where the houses are numbered consecutively instead of odds and evens. He's taken to putting four signs on his gate and house at all sorts of angles :rotfl:
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think your original suggestion of 9 XXXX Rise, Flat 2 is a good one. Anyone delivering is going to make their way to house no 9 and then look for a box for your flat. It certainly avoids the flat 29 problem.
  • arciere
    Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Why don't you change the sign to a very clear one that corresponds exactly with the Royal Mail Address? "Flat 2, 9 Pigeon Street".
    Yes, that's already work in progress, but purely for aesthetic reasons, the current sign definitely needs an 'update'. The property is an end-of-terrace house, so once you get there there's no chance you can miss it.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It sounds to me like your address is displayed clearly enough, you just have a postie who is a bit dim, I'd just complaint to RM every time your mail is misdelivered and hopefully it will eventually sink in that they simply need to look at the door to ensure correct delivery.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    It sounds to me like your address is displayed clearly enough, you just have a postie who is a bit dim, I'd just complaint to RM every time your mail is misdelivered and hopefully it will eventually sink in that they simply need to look at the door to ensure correct delivery.

The OP has said that they have few problems with RM, the real issue is with other delivery companies.

Other than the business of the new house, our main issue arises due to the odd company that won't allow a full address on the website. For instance, for supermarket deliveries our address shows as 2, 3 Cul-de-sac Avenue rather than 2, Can't get out court, 3 Cul-de-sac Avenue. Some other sites have similar anomalies, in which case it is difficult to blame the delivery people.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • ForumUser
    ForumUser Posts: 26
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We face the same problem but have resolved it entirely by adding directions into the address.

We are at number 81 but our property is next to number 53. We always enter our address as 81 Example Road (black door next to number 53)

There is always the option to manually edit the address in online shops, and once you have the address saved for amazon, ebay etc, you never have to think about it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure