Old Economy 10 system help

danrv
danrv Posts: 1,399
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
Hi
I have just moved into a 3 bed semi detached property which has an electric warm air ducted heating system on Economy 10.
Its from the 1970s and probably quite efficient but am thinking that NOBODY would be running anything like this these days.
The Unidare 10Kw R10 unit is huge (H130cm W60cm) weighs 75kg, has its own cupboard and is wired into the E10 timer. The off peak times are 10.00pm-8.00am BST which makes sense for this type of storage heater as it doesnt need a top up in the evening.
Water heating is seperate immersion tank which I could have timed to operate off peak.

I would like to update to a more modern system but options are limited. No mains gas and quite a small garden for oil tank.
Heat pump/wet system worth considering but not sure how hot it would heat the water in really cold weather.
I dont need to heat the whole house, maybe one or two rooms at a time. Routine probably does suit storage heating more than electric rads but central storage units such as this are no longer made. Storage heaters/tariffs do seem to be gradually on the way out too.

Theres no shortage of electric rads available and this would be an easy install. I have done extensive reading on these and they would be neat, individually controllable via WiFi with no maintenance costs. Would need to switch to standard tariff.
Only downside I can see is high running cost.
Sort of stuck really.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I believe those old electricaire systems have a similar energy rating to a modern Quantum system costing thousands.

Keep it IIWY.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 2:29PM
    Thanks, Yes, I quite believe that about the Quantum storage heaters.
    Installing a bunch of those would probably work out a similar cost to an oil/rads system.
    It states theyre only for Economy 7 but my Economy 10 setup is not much different really.

Could keep the Electricaire. Thats what electricians and plumbers have advised.
    But it looks dated, is dated and heaven knows whats in it, including the ducting.
    When everything these days is being modernized and going smart, I feel most people would rip it out in the first instance.

I think I’ve gone down all available electric heating routes now, even a DIY HRV system using the existing ducting so just need to decide.
    Have had two quotes for German electric radiators, one rather over the top and another a quarter of that.
    Would need to do some sums to see how these would work out.
  • jk0
    Forumite
    Oh, well don't install those German electric radiators, unless you like chucking money away.

Poor pensioners are always coming here to tell us they've been duped into buying them, and they are costing a fortune to run.

Surely most of the electricaire system is in a cupboard somewhere, isn't it? Therefore who cares if it's old fashioned.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 3:25PM
    It does not matter if you have E10 or E7, the heating will be connected to the off peak exactly as it is now. Are you sure your 10 hours is in one block as that is unusual as they are normally based 3 off peak periods, evening, night and afternoon.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    danrv wrote: »
    Storage heaters/tariffs do seem to be gradually on the way out too.
    That has come up a couple of times lately and seems to have been invented by those with a vested interest in selling you these fancy non-storage heaters, I wonder why they would tell you that ;)

Only downside I can see is high running cost.
    You failed to insert the word "very" in that statement.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Conversion to E7 and NSH's is the most ecomomic solution. Install electric rads (whether 'normal' ones, or German ones filled with magic custard or Kryptonite), and you will pretty much triple your heating costs.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • danrv
    Forumite
    jk0 wrote: »
    Surely most of the electricaire system is in a cupboard somewhere, isn't it? Therefore who cares if it's old fashioned.

Yes, in a cupboard completely out of sight. That’s not really a problem but I’m concerned about
    hazerdous materials in the unit and under some tape around the galvanised steel ducting in the cupboard.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 6:37PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    General view then is that electric rads are very expensive to run. Had an idea this may be the case but
    its difficult to predict just how much they would cost to run.
    Ive read so much into this and thought that as you have control over each one, set thermostat, new LOT20 regs for smart operation, cost to run wouldnt be too bad.
    Ive had a quote for 1x2k, 3x1.3k and 2x650w rads with WiFi hub.
    I suppose Ive been drawn in to these by all the positive and assuming genuine reviews. Would like to
    hear from some happy users.
    Id go modern storage heaters if there was more choice. Why only Dimplex? Plus I cant believe how heavy they are (around 100kg).
    The Electriaire I have is 75kg.

Maybe Ill just dust it down and see how it goes over winter.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    Are you sure your 10 hours is in one block as that is unusual as they are normally based 3 off peak periods, evening, night and afternoon.

Yes. Had a call from Eon after enquiring and my off peak times are:
    10.00pm - 8am BST
    9.00pm - 7am GMT
  • jk0
    Forumite
    Maybe Ill just dust it down and see how it goes over winter.

Yes, do that. Presumably you could unscrew the outlet grills and hoover/mop out the inside as long as the power is dead?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure