Thomas Cook flights 2020

Options
hi just a quick question can seem to find answers anywhere

booked return flights Manchester to dalaman through gotogate on mastercard credit card for departure june 2020 with Thomas cook

have tried speaking to gotogate regarding refund/new flight they don't want to know

surely if you book flights only someone somewhere is responsible for refund ?

please help don't know where to go next

thanks

john

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Options
    There was no ATOL protection for TC flights and you obviously chose to pay more by booking through a foreign travel agency. You must claim from your credit card issuer and hope they do not argue, as they might, that you paid Gotogate not TC. If your card statement shows a payment to TC you should be OK, if it only shows Gotogate, the best of luck!
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    Gotogate seem to have an awful reputation for when things go wrong - unless by chance you paid extra for one of their enhanced levels of services.

As AB says above, contact Mastercard and see what they say
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Reclaim through your credit card.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Reclaim through your credit card.

That might not be so easy as the flight was booked via a third party agent.

From the MSE guidance notes -
    “If you booked via a travel agent, it's more complicated. Technically for Section 75 to work, there must be a direct link between the debtor (that's you, the customer), the creditor (the credit card company) and the supplier (in this case, Thomas Cook). If you booked via a travel agent, it's likely that relationship could be deemed to be broken which would mean you wouldn't be able to claim, though the Financial Ombudsman Service told us it would come down to the exact nature of your contract with the travel agent.”
  • johngf_uk
    Options
    this is the email i have had from mytrip/gotogate basically washing their hands of any responsibility

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

On Sep 23, 2019, Thomas cook was suspended by applied for bankruptcy. As a result of this all flights have been cancelled.

We at mytrip_uk act only in the capacity of intermediary. To that end, our role and obligations are limited to mediating. Instead, it is the airline that carries the entire responsibility in relation to the customer. Therefore, mytrip_uk cannot be held financially responsible for these events.

We sell no tickets of our own. When an airline goes bankrupt we cannot book you onto another flight, nor give you a refund.

You may contact the insurance company for the refund.

For any further assistance and enquiry please follow the below link.

https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/

Kind regards,
    Om S, Customer Service
    Mytrip

if barclaycard decide no refund where do i go from here i know thousands of people will be in this situation so surely someone must be held responsible

thanks
    john
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    does your travel insurance cover scheduled airline failure?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Options
    No, I am sorry to say there is no law to say someone must be responsible. Maybe there ought to be, but currently, there isn't. I understand Barclaycard has agreed to refund those that booked directly with TC Airlines and we did suggest you check to see who appears on your card statement as the beneficiary. If it is TC you will at least get that part back, if they refuse and you have no insurance, then I am sorry to say that is the end of the matter.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    johngf_uk wrote: »
    if barclaycard decide no refund where do i go from here i know thousands of people will be in this situation so surely someone must be held responsible

Thomas Cook are responsible but they have no money to refund you. You have to insure for these kinds of things yourself or book in a manner that protects you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure