Dean_Wilson Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 19 August 2019 at 6:52PM in Consumer rights
My issues has now been resolved

Comments

• NutWorld
    NutWorld Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2019 at 12:29PM
    Hi

I started using tax returned to claim back some uniform expenses, i then had issues trying to do my self assessment and trying to get some money back that they had un-rightfully claimed. I managed to sort the issues out i had with them after posting on here and then i requested to terminate their authority as my tax agent to allow me to complete my self assessment.

I had email confirmation from them acknowledging this but 3 months later they have claimed money again on my behalf and taken a percentage (around £300), despite me revoking their authority and doing the self assessment myself . I spoke to HMRC who say they should have sent me some paperwork to be signed and then this paperwork should be sent to HMRC.

I am not sure who to speak to in terms of resolving this/reporting them. I have tried to make contact with them but once again they have failed to respond.

I do not recommend anyone uses this company as i have had nothing but problems and stress from them.

Your previous thread is still available.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6010787

You may have deleted the OP, but the helpful advice you received then still exists :)

If, as you indicate, the service provider has retained £300 of your money for services they provided but which you had not asked for, indeed you indicate you have confirmation that the service provider acknowledged they would not provide you with that service, then if all else fails, you may have to make a legal claim for that money which would be yours and they are currently holding.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NutWorld wrote: »
    Your previous thread is still available.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6010787

You may have deleted the OP, but the helpful advice you received then still exists :)

If, as you indicate, the service provider has retained £300 of your money for services they provided but which you had not asked for, indeed you indicate you have confirmation that the service provider acknowledged they would not provide you with that service, then if all else fails, you may have to make a legal claim for that money which would be yours and they are currently holding.

That may be right for an ordinary contract, but thats not what this is.

There will definitely be one element - a deed of assignment. There may be/have been an additional element of agent authority. Agency is where they are authorised to act on your behalf and you can revoke this without agreement of the other party.

However, a deed of assignment, you are transferring your right to a repayment by deed. That gives them a right to reclaim your repayment on their own behalf - as the right is now theirs. In order to revoke a deed of assignment, you need the agreement of the other party.

The assignment can be for 1 tax year, several (but not future years as you can only transfer what you yourself have and you don't have that right until that tax year rolls around) and it can be for repayments arising for specific reasons (aka repayments for flat rate expenses, marriage allowance transfer etc) or all repayments regardless of reason - so even repayment claims you make yourself for a completely unconnected reason are paid to them.

So it sounds like thats been the setup for the OP and explains why they've received a repayment after OP submitted their tax return.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Yes this was the case, i was not able to revoke their authority by contacting HMRC. They are now sending these documents out to me to be signed. I

It would seem that HMRC played a big role in the problems i was having also, when i sent my amendment to them they then sent £990 to my old agent because of the deed of assignment, despite the fact that i was £350 in debt to them, now meaning i owed them £1340.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My issues has now been resolved

Please can you stop deleting your posts when the issue is sorted/resolved.

People give up their time to help, and others in similar circumstances may find ALL the posts helpful. Removing the post you make to start the thread is neither useful nor correct etiquette.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Removing the post you make to start the thread is neither useful nor correct etiquette.

And utterly pointless when someone has already quoted it.
  • theonlywayisup
    DoaM wrote: »

Perhaps delve a little further. The MO of the OP is to remove posts.....making yours "utterly pointless".
  • chancesare_2
    chancesare_2 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Perhaps delve a little further. The MO of the OP is to remove posts.....making yours "utterly pointless".

Agreed. If the new poster doesn't realise that when something is resolved you leave it for all to see rather than delete it, then they need to see that. The new poster has started two threads and has deleted both opening posts. Likely in error, but they need to stop doing it.
  • A third vote for leaving threads in tact when you've had people dedicate time to helping you - the advice could help someone in future.

It's just rude to delete your post when others have given their time to help.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    The MO of the OP is to remove posts.....making yours "utterly pointless".

Given that the OP only has 3 posts, 2 of which are thread starts, it's perhaps a little premature to claim this is a "MO". ;) It is annoying though.

The point I was making though was that if their "MO" was to make a respondent look stupid, they failed miserably in deleting their OP as someone had already quoted it, therefore deleting it served no purpose. :)
  • theonlywayisup
    Given that the OP only has 3 posts, 2 of which are thread starts, it's perhaps a little premature to claim this is a "MO". ;) It is annoying though.

The point I was making though was that if their "MO" was to make a respondent look stupid, they failed miserably in deleting their OP as someone had already quoted it, therefore deleting it served no purpose. :)

No one said it was to make anyone look stupid. It clearly wasn't and I suspect the OP doesn't realise that the post should remain, solved or not.

Thankfully someone quoted the op further up the thread but on the previous occasion that didn't happen.

There is absolutely no harm in me pointing out to the OP - as a new user he/she may not be aware that you don't delete something when it's resolved.

Your cheap dig at me was "utterly pointless" as you seemed to miss the issue completely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure