Best Electric Fan

Hello, not sure if this is the right section so please advise if I’m wrong.

I’m looking for a reasonably priced fan that is also energy efficient. I have a phobia of bugs and can’t leave my window open on a night, and in summer it doesn’t make much difference if I do. However I’m prone to sweating even in winter, I have a 3.5tog duvet all year round and a sheet in the summer, however even if I manage to fall asleep without a fan on I wake up with it on, this isn’t good for my electric bill and have gone to not keeping it plugged in but this disturbs my sleep.

I’m wondering if anyone can advise me on a fan that won’t cost a fortune to run, it doesn’t have to be extremely powerful but enough to help cool me on a night in the mist of summer.

I’ve tried stripping off but don’t feel comfortable as I’m a carer for my mum and still live at home, in an emergence my father will just knock and walk into shout me up (he usually waiting for me to response any other time or just open enough to wake me) but in an emergency I want to be able to just get to her and help sort the situation out. I wear thing material and short sleeves/vests and shower loose bottoms. I’ve tried the cool pads, the cool strips etc

Any additional advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fans help the air move but they don't cool it.

A fan like this one uses 45 watts, so you could run it for 22 hours for about 14p depending on your electricity tariff.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hiya, just a thought, but how about some sort of bug screen for the window, so you still get the air movement.

Link purely for clarification, the first I found, no recommendation in any way.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Fans help the air move but they don't cool it.

A fan like this one uses 45 watts, so you could run it for 22 hours for about 14p depending on your electricity tariff.

The 45 watt figure assumes the fan is on full power. It's more likely it would be used on a low or medium setting overnight to reduce noise. The consumption is therefore more likely to be 20-30 watts / hour, so lets say 1/4 of a kWh overnight. If the Ops electricity cost is even as high as 20p/kWh then the cost of running a fan overnight wouldn't be any more than about 5 pence. It certainly, in just about every scenario, isn't going to inflate the monthly bills by more than a £1 or two!
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    More on the expensive side of expensive but we splashed out on a Dyson last year. it is almost silent on the medium to lower settings and consumes a mere 5W on the lowest setting and 25W on max. Our typical setting which kept the air moving without disturbing sleep consumes 10W.
  • Hey,

According to this review, Holmes dual blade window fan is your best friend! It's budget-friendly and helps to maintain your comfort level with two-speed settings. Manually reverse your fan to intake fresh air and exhaust stale air. It is designed to fit most double-hung and slider windows and includes an adjustable extender screen and extender panel.CFM. This model power drain 60 watts on low and 90 watts on high
    IT is one the most growing industry to work in
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pinnks wrote: »
    More on the expensive side of expensive but we splashed out on a Dyson last year. it is almost silent on the medium to lower settings and consumes a mere 5W on the lowest setting and 25W on max. Our typical setting which kept the air moving without disturbing sleep consumes 10W.

Another vote for dyson fans. I have two now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure