being dismissed for poor performance

Options

Comments

• happenstance
    happenstance Posts: 365 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2013 at 9:20PM
    Options
    outside of work you can look how you want to, but stubble is often considered to be untidy, it can looked unkempt. It can look like you rolled out of bed late and couldn't be bothered. Tidy beards are the alternative to shaving.

I'm not sure if you're aware of how arrogant you come across, are you like this at work?

You think guys have to be either clean shaven or have a tidy beard? stubble is a no no?

Of course i'm not being disciplined and nor did I say I was for following the dress code, just having snide remarks.

The person making sweeping statements like "He wouldn't last five minutes in my department" and claiming they know better than my employer as to what constitutes business causal is calling me arrogant?
  • Helpfulone
    Options
    Thanks will be sure to take notes of anything interesting.

From what your saying if they want me gone then pretty much they can get rid of me and if I went down the tribunal route it would damage my reference. To be honest not sure i can justify the 1200 for a tribunal it now costs if i loose my job.

Is it really £1200 to apply to an employment tribunal??? That can't be right???:eek:
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    You think guys have to be either clean shaven or have a tidy beard? stubble is a no no?

Of course i'm not being disciplined and nor did I say I was for following the dress code, just having snide remarks.

The person making sweeping statements like "He wouldn't last five minutes in my department" and claiming they know better than my employer as to what constitutes business causal is calling me arrogant?

Do you have a tendency to go down rabbit holes at work? Is that why your performance is being questioned? A lot of guff has been spent on a completely unrelated issue here.

Do you really want to stay in the job? Or are you quite happy to move on?
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    has to be said (and there are a lot of pedantic people on here I will be fair to point out) that 100+ hours per week equates to either 20 hours per day at work 5 days a week or 14 hours a day at work 7 days per week -really?

I still would like to see what the contract actually states in black/white.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • happenstance
    Options
    timbo58 wrote: »
    has to be said (and there are a lot of pedantic people on here I will be fair to point out) that 100+ hours per week equates to either 20 hours per day at work 5 days a week or 14 hours a day at work 7 days per week -really?

yes really. towards the deadline was working from 9am ish until 12-1am often and until 6am on the final day.

of course it was all a waste of time as mistakes crept in, people were less and less productive. management did like seeing bums on seats. can't really even pretend 100+ hour weeks were solid working, far from it but its the hours spent at my desk.
  • Tenyearstogo
    Options

It doesn't matter what I think of stubble. It's how others can perceive it.

All you're doing now is proving my point.
  • happenstance
    Options
    Do you have a tendency to go down rabbit holes at work? Is that why your performance is being questioned? A lot of guff has been spent on a completely unrelated issue here.

Do you really want to stay in the job? Or are you quite happy to move on?

I thought it was interesting the whole facial hair rights issue, I like conversing.

I want to move on, but be treated fairly.
  • happenstance
    Options
    It doesn't matter what I think of stubble. It's how others can perceive it.

All you're doing now is proving my point.

I'm trying to gauge opinion and get advice. You are slinging mud, I don't feel the need to resort to that.
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    timbo58 wrote: »

When I worked in retail 80-100 hours a week was not uncommon, particularly at holiday times or when new stores were opening. I used to average around 70 hours a week throughout the year which was one of the main reasons I quit that job. Different industry to OP I know but just to make the point that some people do work 100 hours a week.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Southend1 wrote: »
    When I worked in retail 80-100 hours a week was not uncommon, particularly at holiday times or when new stores were opening. I used to average around 70 hours a week throughout the year which was one of the main reasons I quit that job. Different industry to OP I know but just to make the point that some people do work 100 hours a week.

It's no different in our industry, either.

Contracted hours, and an implied requirements are completely different in many industries, of which the general attitude in the office, is that if it's reasonable expected, it's done, and you'll be paid overtime for it.

It's not unusual or unreasonable for our team to average 60 hours over 4/5 days, especially when they're being paid for it.

CK
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family