Am I being discriminated against?

Comments

• Hi

Thank you for the info.

Yeah I guess you are right, the way I see it is I do not really want to stay now they've treated me like this but at the end of the day I really need a job! I'd rather keep my job but look for a new one whilst I'm being paid! It just seems so unfair.

I think once they hear what is happening they will be shocked but then they know about the comments she's made to me before and didn't do anything. I'm the fool for not following it up but I didn't want to create so much fuss. Now I know they want me to go I'm going to fight.

I've made a list of all my duties and I have to get across that my job has always been needed but this other person's didn't exist and how can they justify paying two people to do one job? My Manager even said they only need three people in that team so why was that other woman employed in the first place?!

This is seriously driving me mad and I have to wait til Wednesday to have my say!
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lynzpower wrote: »
    hmmm this is very dodgy!
    All the best with this and will follow your sory, it certainly sounds to me like you could have a case.

Good luck x

juicy83 doesn't have any proof.

All the things juicy83 has stated can be easily denied by all the people involved unless juicy83 can produce evidence i.e. documents, emails that prove what the manager said . Even then just because the manager made rude comments doesn't mean she has broken any employment laws. Also it's not illegal to employ people you know outside work or to favour them once they are in work.

The only thing juicy83 can go on is that the selection for the redundancy was unfair and therefore if juicy83 is made redundant she can go for unfair dismissal and breach of contract in an employment tribunal.

This is due to:
    1. Having evidence that juicy83's role or equivalent is needed
    2. The organisation did not go under any open restructuring process

I suggest juicy83 when you attend the meeting you ask like a broken record until you get a satisfactory answer why you have been selected for redundancy. Tell them it's unfair you have been selected with why your duties are needed, but don't tell them how they should have done it fairly until you have taken legal advice.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • juicy83
    juicy83 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Actually I do have proof! I've had a meeting before about what has been said, the notes should in my file, unfortunately I do not have a copy of them though. I've had a few meetings with the HR person as well and she will be in this meeting on Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice, I will be saying all of that.

My job is needed and I have proof of e-mails sent from my Manager to her Manager about how she needs me to do more of one part of my job than the other and how she even managed to organise the recruitment of a new person to help me! If I go my work will have to be shared out whereas the other woman does not even have any set work to do, she just does the odd bits my Manager does not like doing!
  • olly300
    juicy83 wrote: »
    Actually I do have proof! I've had a meeting before about what has been said, the notes should in my file, unfortunately I do not have a copy of them though. I've had a few meetings with the HR person as well and she will be in this meeting on Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice, I will be saying all of that.
    I didn't realise you already had taken legal advice before posting.

Next time post it on the thread so people don't give advice that could be misleading and could get you into more difficulty.

• juicy83
    No, I haven't taken legal advice yet, I was thanking you for your advice!

I will be seeking legal advice on Monday.
  • olly300
    juicy83 wrote: »
    No, I haven't taken legal advice yet, I was thanking you for your advice!

I will be seeking legal advice on Monday.

Good.

If you go into the meeting like a bull in a china shop they can invent something else to get rid of you.

• juicy83
    I completely agree.

I'm going to find it hard to be civil to my Manager on Monday but I know I have to as I don't want her to start saying I'm being difficult.

I've made bullet points of everything I want to say and a long report to give to them at the end for them to read so they do not miss anything I say.

Any other tips?
  • Halloway
    Halloway Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    Realistically, I don't think there is going to much you can do about this. The company looks as though it is following the correct procedure regarding the consultation period. I would say that you are also going to find it difficult to use your manager's animosity towards you as a defence against redundancy. Unless her negative attitude manifested itself in terms of discrimination on one of the well-known grounds (race, gender, pregnancy etc etc), over a long a period of time and in a fashion which would be provable in an employment tribunal then it is not going to count for much, I am afraid.

Again, your manager's comments regarding the value of your work and the hiring of someone to help you is, in this instance, irrelevant. There is no requirement for companies to consider length of service, salary or 'usefulness'. I was recently made redundant. Amongst those made redundant was someone who had worked for the company (in its various guises over the years) for nearly 30 years. Someone else who joined last year was kept on.

I'd speak to someone at CAB in the first instance but I think they will confirm what I have said. Sometimes it's better to accept redundancy and walk away from what sounds like a not-very-pleasant organisation to work for.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I am slightly surprised that the letter does not say you are permitted to bring a friend (or union representative) with you to the formal meeting- this may be a right and is certainly a reasonable request if it would make you feel calmer.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The comments made in the past by your manager are unacceptable - but it seems that you've raised this issue and it was resolved at the time? Is that right?

It could be that your manager has singled you out for redundancy, but proving that is extremely difficult. Her view of your personal life may well be an issue or the only issue and we may all feel that this is the case - but it's going to be extremely difficult to connect that with redundancy.

The main reason for this is that the manager's views of you are personal - and the whole redundancy process is role based. The company just needs to demonstrate that your role is no longer needed - and the consultation process is your opportunity to show that it isn't - which is nigh-on impossible, in my experience.

For your meeting tomorrow, you really must focus on the role issues and not the personal issues. I've been singled-out in the past, twice having people brought in above me. In both cases, they were less experienced and less qualified than me. I know how difficult it is when it's personal, but it's not you - it's your manager who has a problem ;) Try and bear that in mind to boost your own confidence and self-esteem

The whole redundancy consultation process is a stressful waste of time IMHO, but something you will have to get through as best you can. Aim to present yourself professionally, leave out the personal issues and leave them in no doubt that you acted with complete dignity.

Then get yourself a better job :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure