Free BT Directory Enquiries

For anyone who doesn't know...many disabled people are entitled to use the 195 BT Directory Enquiries free of charge. Perhaps your hands can't turn the pages of a phone book or you can't read the entries or you have dyslexia.

Details at:
http://www.btplc.com/inclusion/phoneservices/services/directories/index.htm

Or call 195 to ask for an application form.
Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama

Comments

• Hi tried this you need to phone 0800 587 0195 -Mon - Fri Office Hours they will help
    the web page seems to be down with a 404
    hope that helps - thanks for the info in the first place Ally.
  • deeplyblue
    deeplyblue Posts: 151 Forumite
    I use the online version all the time - I can't remember if you need to register with the site, but investigagte it anyway. This bookmark gets up the residential section, but you can get to the business one easily.

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha

This allows you to do searches with wild cards e.g. R*son - if you can't remember whether you're after Robinson or Robertson - very useful
  • Orange and Vodaphone have started charging within the last year for 195 free disabled directory enquiries. Here is some more info on the issue:-
    T Mobile do not charge.
    Vodaphone have started charging after 95 seconds
    Orange advertise the service as free (as of 4/4/2012) But Orange actually charge for this service after 60 seconds.
    BT do not charge.

I have been using Orange's free 195 service since 1993. It has been totally free until last year when I noticed charges started appearing on my bill, without me being notified about any change.

The charges Orange and Vodaphone have introduced are against the spirit of the 195 service and against the original guidelines drawn up back in the early 1990's when the service was introduced.

Please can people raise this issue within the industry, and let Orange Exec office ( executive.office@orange.co.uk ) and Vodaphone know how this is affecting people. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure