£40 a month for water bill?!?!

Comments

• we pay £35.52 per month to welsh water, stay at home mum to 2 children, and my washing maching is on at least once if not twice a day. I thought that was expensive ? ?
  • It’s a disgrace that we have to pay the price we do for water….I suppose it could be justified if we lived in a country with a low rainfall!

They will be charging us for Air next…hang on a minute they already do that but just call it something different!
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Mine is over £500 a year (SWW) have to pay to keep the beaches clean too.
  • Some figures from Yorkshire...

Family of 5 (3 working, 2 at school/college)
    48-50 cu metres per quarter
    Currently paying £39/month as in large debit at the moment.
  • I'm also with Yorkshire Water having elected to change to meter this year. RV bill was £450. I'm actually using about 12 cubic metres a month. Direct Debit is £32 per month but having worked out the charges this should come down next year. (Family of 4 with 2 teenagers & 2 cars - 8 - 10 washing loads per week and both cars get washed at least once per week - we also shower each day)
  • £36 a month for mine, family of four (two teens).
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    We got our water bill the other day - two of us - £43.81 for 58 days...and that's on a meter.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So if the landlady has it down as one property when really its 4, is that allowed?!?!?

M
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    MORPH3US wrote:
    Just moved into a 1 bed flat with the gf about a month ago and for some dodgy (or not) reason the landlady gets the bills for water sent to her and then she sends her own invoice onto us.

I'm not sure if she said something about dividing the bill up or something (we live in an old mill house which is not 1 house and 3 flats).

Anyway we just got our first bill for August and about 5 extra days which was £41 which worked out something like:

16 sq/m water @ 100.49p = £16 odd
    sewage = £10 odd
    standing charge = £10 odd
    rest = VAT

Can anyone tell me is that about right. I looked on the water companies web page last night and it said that <9,999 sq/m water per year is charged at 100.49p per sq/m so that bit looks ok?

Any feedback appreciated. Also any ideas why the landlady would get the bill sent to her and then invoice us for it on her own invoice???

cheers

M

Going back to your original questions:

The Water Boards say the average consumption is 160L per person per day. So for 36 days with 2 people the average consumption would be 11.5sq/m so you are about 50% higher than average.

Presumably the reason she gets the bill sent to her is because she would be liable if anyone defaulted - and if it were in your name she would not know if you had not paid.

So £41 for 5 weeks is high, but not excessively so - in my opin ion.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Do the flats just have 1 meter for all of them or are the individually metered ?

Im sure the landlord is pulling a fast one i would ask to see the bill and speak to the water co. im sure its illegal for the landlord to make any profit on the water bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure