Savings Account Tied To Current Account?

I seem to remember a paired account setup which would automatically move everything over £50-ish in the current ac into the savings ac. Does anyone know if this still exists, or something close to it? TIA :)
......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D

Comments

• RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think most banks have a sweep option - you set the amount to leave in your bank account and the date and it will automatically move the rest over. When I worked at Abbey National (admittedly a long time ago) we definitely offered this feature, and I'm pretty sure First Direct offers it - though I don't use it as FD's savings accounts that would be suitable for this just aren't competitive enough for me to forego the higher interest I would receive elsewhere.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ideal one would be Tesco. Keep £3000 in current account at 3% and move rest over to their savings account if you're not bothered about getting most interest from other accounts
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    jimjames wrote: »
    Ideal one would be Tesco. Keep £3000 in current account at 3% and move rest over to their savings account if you're not bothered about getting most interest from other accounts
    But do they actually have an automatic sweep option as per OP request or do *you* have to move the money manually and then back again if you wanted to spend the money?

OP, I've not had this feature with my personal accounts before (though haven't used a massive wide range of banks). I have corporate clients who have an auto sweep facility at a predetermined value from their main operating account to a higher interest account (RBS is an example), but this is rarer in personal accounts.

For example, the ones like Tesco or Nationwide or Lloyds etc who have a reasonable rate of interest up to a certain account balance and much lower rates above that level, will have the expectation that most customers will either let their balances fall below the level from time to time and miss out on some of the eyecatching rate on offer, or will let their balances go above the level and not be earning much or anything on the excess. If you could make the most of the system by having an auto sweep facility so they pretty much always paid you the max, that would be quite expensive for them. So more likely to only find it in places that don't have great rates on current accounts anyway, e.g. FD mentioned above.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I know it's not the same but we have a Virgin One account. Basically, it's an offset mortgage and we have found it to be very useful over the years. Currently it's in credit and we have an unused facility.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Yorkshire Bank's 'B' account does this.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,581 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    But do they actually have an automatic sweep option as per OP request or do *you* have to move the money manually and then back again if you wanted to spend the money?

No it's not automatic and in fact it's better to do the opposite way (or at least that's what I do) - move money into current account from savings if the balance drops below £3000.

With the latest current accounts paying such good interest I'm not sure a sweep facility from current to savings is of benefit unless you're someone who will spend everything in your current account if there is any money there
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Also Yorkshire Banks signature current account:

Sweeping helps you earn interest on funds that you don’t need on a day-to-day basis. It does this by automatically managing the balances on your Signature Current Account and Signature Savings Account. There is no fee for using the sweeping service.
    You simply set a minimum and maximum balance on your Signature Current Account. When either of these limits is reached, we automatically sweep the funds to or from your Signature Savings Account. Funds sweeping happens overnight.
    • If your Signature Current Account balance is higher than your maximum limit, the excess funds are swept to your Signature Savings Account.
    This means you earn interest on the additional funds in your Signature Savings Account.
    • If your Signature Current Account balance falls below your minimum limit, funds will be swept from your Signature Savings Account into your Signature Current Account.
    This will return your Signature Current Account balance back to the minimum limit you have set. If you don’t have enough funds in your Signature Savings Account to return your Signature Current Account back to the minimum limit, any funds in your Signature Savings Account will still be swept across.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thanks all, some good ideas there :) Looking at it for 17-y-o with Aspergers, just to automatically make sure he a. saves and b. doesn't have too much in current account at any time....would certainly be less stressful for me & mum in helping him budget :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure