Looks like bankruptcy for me.................

I've been trying to reach an agreement with the HMRC for paying off a large sum of money owed.

The figure they want is approx double the amount of tax owed due to penalties and interest.

Long story short. I have no assets. They want it paying within 12 months which i cannot afford. I have provided them a income/expenditure and an amount i can pay per month. However, it would take 7 years to pay it off at this amount.

It appears they would rather make me bankrupt then getting money back. I want to pay the money back but can only afford the amount i have proposed, but they are going to send it to the solicitors office now and looks like they will probably make me bankrupt (i assume thats what happens). I still find it bizarre they would rather get zero then X amount of 7 years, but they tell me that's the way it is.

So the employment i am in, i will lose my job and obviously puts me in a bad position to pay anything back.

I am not sure what my next steps should be........any advice welcome.

Comments

• John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Can you borrow enough to pay it off?

When you say that you have no assets, do you not have any electronics that you could put on eBay, old books or CDs that you can sell or similar?

Can you get a second job, pub work at the weekends, for example?
  • novak1984
    novak1984 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    John-K wrote: »
    Can you borrow enough to pay it off?

When you say that you have no assets, do you not have any electronics that you could put on eBay, old books or CDs that you can sell or similar?

Can you get a second job, pub work at the weekends, for example?

Thanks for the reply. However i would need a lot of CDs.

We are talking 220k (116k is actual tax). I've offered 1800 per month and they aren't interested.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    novak1984 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. However i would need a lot of CDs.

We are talking 220k (116k is actual tax). I've offered 1800 per month and they aren't interested.

I would suggest you call National Debtline and get more specific advice on your personal situation.

I don’t think your offer is that bad to be honest, they may be able to get your voice heard.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Novak

novak1984 wrote: »
    I've been trying to reach an agreement with the HMRC for paying off a large sum of money owed.

It appears they would rather make me bankrupt then getting money back. I want to pay the money back but can only afford the amount i have proposed, but they are going to send it to the solicitors office now and looks like they will probably make me bankrupt (i assume thats what happens). I still find it bizarre they would rather get zero then X amount of 7 years, but they tell me that's the way it is.

So the employment i am in, i will lose my job and obviously puts me in a bad position to pay anything back.

No easy answers to this one. HMRC are quite a particular creditor in that they will often pursue bankruptcy as a matter of policy, regardless of whether this actually recoups any of their debt. Your payment proposal would no doubt be readily accepted by many creditors, but HMRC are a case apart in this respect.

At this stage I can only recommend that you begin making the payments you've already offered and make them aware that you are doing so, as well as pointing out (if you haven't already) the adverse effect bankruptcy would have on your employment.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    HMRC are cold heartless soul less swines

they kept after £10K they said i owed, BR stuffed em on that

they send their own collector out, ours was slower from the front door to the gate than our dog...
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • maxmycardagain
    at least if they make you BR you save £700+ in fees
  • roughsea
    roughsea Posts: 87 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I was also part of a bankruptcy due to HMRC and after years of worrying, it was the best thing that happened.

It's a very easy process and did not affect me in my daily life but instead took some time off from work and reduced my hours due to all the stress of HMRC.

1 year soon passes and I am now discharged and it feels great

I would advise paying for the bankruptcy as HMRC can drag it on and looking back would have been quicker to do it myself rather than wait nearly a year for HMRC to do it
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    It!!!8217;s hard to see how you can owe so much and yet not have kept on top of it but yes, they will likely make you bankrupt. If nothing else it serves as a warning to others who may consider delaying payment, or spending the money which was supposed to be paid in tax.

There is really no advice to give here, if you cannot raise the money then they will likely make you bankrupt.

What happened?
  • maxmycardagain
    John-K wrote: »

There is really no advice to give here, if you cannot raise the money then they will likely make you bankrupt.

What happened?

I doubt they will, they get nothing that way, they will keep pestering you though
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I think with HMRC it really depends who you get dealing with it. Some of them are great, some of them not so much. From experience, I know their protocol is to have it paid back within a year - sometimes they will negotiate slightly longer, but not to 7 years I doubt. Its all about ticking boxes with HMRC, and they don't want an unticked box for 7 years.

If it was me, I would apply for bankruptcy myself to keep some control over the situation. Its not the end of the world, and I can imagine the relief of having £200k + of debt off your shoulders would be more than worth the initial discomfort. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure