All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Comments

• TheMagician
    TheMagician Posts: 288 Forumite
    Hi mumblingtaff I've been reading your diary because it reminded me of myself a little bit but also because I really love and admire your determination and action. I also applaud you for doing what's right for you. So I just wanted to say, with that conversation you had with your OH in mind, keep on doing what's right for you and what makes you feel good. I can feel your strength coming through words on here, you're capable of anything you set your mind to.
  • mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you Magician. Your words are very much appreciated.
    He cooked for me last night and even made an effort to do a slimming world recipe. We talked a bit more and just had a quiet peaceful night. I stayed over and I have to admit that waking up together and feeling wanted was lovely. Let's hope it lasts.

I've told him that I have to go home to visit my family this weekend and he was understanding and supportive. He's cancelled yet another game of golf today to spend some time with me instead before I go away (wonders will never cease).
    I've come home now to walk the dog (he stays there with me too, don't worry!) and do a few things and we'll do something together this afternoon and evening.

Just going to get changed and get out with the woofer before the rain sets in.
  • mumblingtaff
    Forumite
    So, a long dog walk done (it's cold today!) and picked up a couple of essentials from the local shop (dog food, diet coke and tampons, £9 spent of grocery budget).
    Then deep cleaned the kitchen, hoovered through and dusted, cleaned the wooden floors and put a load of washing on. I hate coming back to a house that isn't really clean and tidy. Spoke to dad and told him I'm visiting from tomorrow, he was really pleased so I've cheered him up at least. No doubt mum will be on the phone later, she was out when I called ;)

Have tried to log on to do a bit of work but it won't let me, spoke to the IT man and he's fiddling with the servers this morning so I can't do any work - a mixed blessing as I don't really want to but thought I should. I still have another set of books to mark so could do something if I forced myself .....
    OH texted to say nice things so he's making an effort at least.

Need to put petrol in ready for tomorrow (budgeted for) and pack a few things for the weekend but other than that no other big jobs to do.
    Think I'll have a bit of a soak in the bath with the book and potter a bit this morning - I am on holiday!
  • mumblingtaff
    Forumite
    Been to the cinema to see A Quiet Place - it's bloody brilliant! Would highly recommend! So tense you could actually hear a pin drop in the theatre - no munching of popcorn or rustling of noisy bags - literally everyone was silent. Well worth a watch (and OH paid so even better and I resisted buying sweets :) )
  • mumblingtaff
    Forumite
    Morning all!
    Up fairly early today, stayed at OHs - going ok so far.
    I'm off to South Wales to see family for the weekend - will set off about 9.30-10ish. It takes about 4 hours if the traffic is ok so a long journey ahead. I'll listen to some podcasts and playlists on the way to keep me occupied. I'll have to stop about halfway to let the dog stretch his legs and have a wee. Parents seem quite excited about me going so I'll have to do my best to be patient and tolerant as I'm so used to living by myself that being in a houseful of people is quite hard work sometimes. I'll take my running kit so I can have a trot out tomorrow as I'll be missing running club (it's not on anyway due to the marathon in Manchester but I want to keep up with the schedule).
    I need to pack a bag, have a shower and take the dog for a quick functional walk around the block then I'm off.
  • mumblingtaff
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 9:56AM
    I'm back!
    Set off at 7.15 when dad went to play golf and, miraculously, the traffic was fine all the way :)
    Had an ok weekend, good to see family even if they do my head in from time to time. Went to Dunelm with mum on Saturday and bought a mattress protector, a duvet, 2 new pillows and a new duvet set - all for £70. The money has come out of the house and garden account so no unplanned outlay and it was all needed and most of it was 20% off.
    Also, managed to escape for an hour yesterday and go for a run on the coastal path, nice to see the sea again ( I do miss that living in a city) and I managed longer than I've done before. :)
    Went for lunch at the golf club yesterday (dad paid) and resisted a dessert, much to the annoyance of my mum.....
    But I'm glad to be home, with a quarter tank of petrol left over too - the new car seems much better on long drives than the old one. I love my family but they're soooo loud!!! Think it's living on my own - the constant noise in their house is a bit too much sometimes.

Have a few things to do today - it's weigh in day at fat club ( not overly hopeful after the weekend away but we'll see), need to sort out the car, do a big dog walk and maybe a run, change the bed and get all the new stuff on it and a few little jobs to get sorted around the house. Will also see OH this evening, so a busy day ahead, glad I set off early and got home at a decent time with most of the day to play with.
  • mumblingtaff
    Forumite
    Quick fat club update..... 3.5 lbs lost. A quarter of a stone I suppose :)
    Fairly pleased with that considering the week I've had - OH issues, visiting family etc.
    16.5 lbs to go but I'm 1/8 of the way there .....
  • mumblingtaff
    Forumite
    Just realised that it's not 1/8th of 20 lbs!!! It's 17.5%..... and I'm a science teacher!! Oops!
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    So nice to see you back Mumbling Taff! I've thought about you often during your brief departure and was hoping all was well.

Sorry to hear of the tough times you've been having with everything. Putting a positive spin on the cancer scare - at least you'll now be very closely monitored and preventative measures are being undertaken.

Really sorry to hear about your Dad's ongoing illness too. Unfortunately, I know how difficult it is to deal with a poorly parent whilst being so far away from home. :(

As for OH, happy to hear the air has been cleared and I hope his efforts continue. But, as someone else has said, make sure you continue to concentrate on your own social circle too as you seem to have made great inroads into trying new things and expanding your own life.

Your comment about speaking to strangers whilst dog-walking struck a chord with me - I've been having several 'down' days of late and sometimes just speaking to someone in a shop or walking down the street can really make a difference to my day as I may not get to speak to anyone else all day. Quite sad really, but I'm sure we're not alone.
    Oh, and bizarely, I think we were probably in the same shop and possibly the same golf club for food at the weekend! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £67,390
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £612.94/£2000 Total OP’s: £8823.50
    SAVINGS: EF: £6423.55/£15,000
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,215
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2018 at 1:25PM
    Hello, been wondering about you off and on, and wished you a much happier time than you've clearly been having. But your plans sound really productive and positive and I know you like a plan.

So sorry to hear about your Dad and your own health issues. Lots of empathy there as we are dealing with two parents with cancer issues, and both OH and I have some niggling ongoing health things too. Like you I've overhauled the diet and we've started the Couch to 5K together though I also go to a women's running group for all ages, experiences etc.

I'm glad you're planning your holidays too - I remember that you love them. I also think they do you a lot of good since you find it hard to relax at home/work. Sending lots of good thoughts.
    NF 04.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£233.00 (46%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£042.00     NPt 12.24 £250.00/£080.95
    FD £3600.00/£0900.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0450.00

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport