20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,188 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    My DS got a great deal at Boots.
    Try them.He even got a student discount!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    beanielou wrote: »
    My DS got a great deal at Boots.
    Try them.He even got a student discount!!
    Thanks beanielou. There is a branch where I am going tomorrow so I will go there to check out the frames. Hope all is well with you?
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,188 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Thanks beanielou. There is a branch where I am going tomorrow so I will go there to check out the frames. Hope all is well with you?
    A tad stressed about money.
    I am plodding on though.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always used the big companies for my glasses but have used a small independent the past few times. I was worried about the cost due to needing my lenses thinned a lot but they worked out better value.

Might be worth asking around for recommendations.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • If you have the prescription, what about someone like glasses direct, online, they post the frames to try on I believe.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Today I felt like throwing in the plan, selling the house WITHOUT doing any repairs and renting somewhere nice for a while. AnotherCasualty did that successfully but he moved to a cheaper area and I want to buy in a slightly more expensive area (although I would be happy with a smaller home) I think I am feeling panicked by all that needs doing and today flight seems preferable to fight.

DIA, have you checked out options for your plans? Would you definitely get enough more for the house to cover the cost of kitchen etc? Do you want to move asap, or do you also want to live in the improved house yourself for a while? Have you started looking in the area you want to move to?

Sorry, a bunch of questions... and I do love your plan, but I'm sure you could find other amazing things to do with all that energy if it turns out flight might be a sensible option.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good points by Rosa.

Should I admit that I have had my current glasses for at least 12 years, and that I got two new pairs last year that I don't like because I can't see what they look like till they actually have my lenses in by which time it is too late...
  • doingitanyway
    Good points by Rosa.

Should I admit that I have had my current glasses for at least 12 years, and that I got two new pairs last year that I don't like because I can't see what they look like till they actually have my lenses in by which time it is too late...
    You are so funny Redo :rotfl:
    And yes, excellent points made by Rosa
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    edited 5 April 2018 at 8:38AM
    DIA, have you checked out options for your plans? Would you definitely get enough more for the house to cover the cost of kitchen etc? Do you want to move asap, or do you also want to live in the improved house yourself for a while? Have you started looking in the area you want to move to?

Sorry, a bunch of questions... and I do love your plan, but I'm sure you could find other amazing things to do with all that energy if it turns out flight might be a sensible option.

Rosa xx
    Excellent points Rosa and don't be sorry as comments from you guys are one of the reasons I am active on here despite my dislike of public forums generally.

So, answers...
    I don't want to live in the improved house.
    I do want to move ASAP
    I need to look in the area I want to live in but I used to know it reasonably well (once worked there) although now it is a bit chi-chi (is that a recognisable word? :))

I will speak to an estate agent but previously doing the house up was the better option last time.

From a psychological viewpoint I seriously lack confidence and I think I might 'need' to face up to myself and my fear of tradespeople and restore this house by myself. I think I would emerge a better me if that doesn't sound too kooky. A bit like the difference between repaying debt and the lessons learnt along the way versus paying off the debt with a lottery win or inheritance.

But that may all be nonsense of course and a way to avoid moving on because I am scared of that too. Who knows, but I think I will get an estate agent back in and do some costings.
    I will also set up an appointment with a friend to have coffee in the new area to have a nosey and see if my plan to move there is still viable...

Thank you :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    If you have the prescription, what about someone like glasses direct, online, they post the frames to try on I believe.
    Thanks wishing i will look into this.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills