Electric usage has quadrupled, what to do?

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

I used 1500KWH of electric May 2016-May 2017

The reading that EDF took in February and my reading taken yesterday were classed as too high and so they have refused to take them. Instead they have guessed at a number. (why? no idea)

However the reading I took yesterday is correct inasmuch as this is what the smart meter shows. And it is showing that in the 9 months since the last reading, I have used 6000KWH of electric.

My usage at home hasn't changed, my appliances haven't changed and the house is empty 4 days a week. Our heating is gas powered and this shows an appropriate usage.

Please can anyone advise on what i do and what the problem could be? The current readings will result in an account debit of over £1000 (from a £560 credit) and I am completely panicking about a) paying that back and b) future usage if i'm using 6000KWH in a 9 month period.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• philng
    philng Posts: 801 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    6000 kwh is massive.

I would monitor usage daily to try & ascertain what is eating up the electric by switching off certain suspects & testing numbers and this will help to identify culprit.

We have a 5 bed detached and now only use 3300kwh a year and we were using over 5000 a few years ago. Biggest change for us was changing all bulbs to LED-particularly kitchen 16 bulbs!

I have a friend who was using under floor electric heating in conservatory that was eating up electric.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    1500kwh in a 12 month period is incredibly low - just think thats 120 units a month, 4 a day.

Were the May 16 and May 17 readings estimated. Just because the meters are smart if you have changed suppliers the readings dont get used.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • May 17 was submitted by me and verified with similar readings from the provider. It is a smart meter but not an EDF one so readings aren't automatic. Not sure about May 16.

It is possible that 1500KWH was under if the May 16 reading was wrong, but that doesn't then account for 6000KWH in the following 9 months. And that is an accurate reading definitely.

There is literally nothing in my home that could be sucking up that level of electric. All heating is gas. We use the normal appliances, energy saving bulbs and we are pretty good about turning off lights etc. Most appliances are A/A+ rated and all are under 4 years old.

Could the meter be faulty?
    Not sure what my next steps are given that EDF wont accept the reading.
  • I have no suspects to switch off!

The only things on all the time are Wifi, Alexa (2) and fridge (2). Everything else is turned off when not in use.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Take a photo of the meter reading
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • yes i have a photo
  • Do I have to host the image to share it here?
  • If the meter is a Secure Liberty meter be wary of the kwh reading on the first screen.There is a small hard to see decimal point with a digit showing tenths of units.First 7 digits only should be used with this meter . This meter also has a Kvarh reading on it which should nt be used
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Perhaps you should read the meter a bit more frequently to get a better idea of your consumption - once a year isn't enough and wont pick up any anomalies until they get to gigantic proportions.
    Monthy readings and checking of bills or statements to make sure that any estimates were corrected would pick up problems before they got out of hand.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • I read the meter when they asked me to. This is the first time since May and there has been no communication since then. No bills or estimates or anything.

Additionally - please don't forget that EDF have been taking readings and not inputting them as they said they were too high.

Life is busy with small children full time work and to be honest meter readings aren't top of my list to remember to do when not requested.

Love the hindsight but it doesn't help me now just makes me feel worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure