We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2015 at 7:44PM
    Options
    First flowers on my 'rescue' passion flower, will take some pics when more are out.

Picked up some interesting (but not hardy) plants, an Astelia 'Silver shadow' and mini-standard Lantana yellow. The later was more than 50% discounted as very dry but hopefully it'll come around in its new pot. Have underplanted with silver ivy.

Also got a couple of multi-headed sunflowers for a £1 each; I find sunflowers a bit 'obvious' but stuck them into some gaps in the hot border.

Fishes are much happier now the 'shoal' has been boosted to 9; with 5 they were really reluctant to come out of hiding. Have found they quite like a cooked, shelled garden pea which also keeps them 'regular' :)

Ooerr....

Earth heading for 'mini ice age' within 15 years
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    here are some pics of my random planting !!

s1kd3t.jpg2ppkhtk.jpg9jn9si.jpg2lt6frm.jpg

and these fab poppies that are aprox 3ft high

24vpoa1.jpg
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    edited 11 July 2015 at 9:01PM
    Options
    this is MR PEAC*CK saying " pi** off... its MY corn " ;):D

2d7ihsp.jpg
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lovely photos alfie especially the osteospermums, they always look so happy.

Like the frilly poppy, mine are self seeded and are all singles. Bees flock to them though and the Hypericum calycinum (Rose Of Sharon) sounds like it is going to take off with all the bees buzzing.

Anyone been to visit the gardens at Quex in Kent?
    http://www.quexpark.co.uk/museum/quex-gardens/

Looks lovely and they sell plants too!
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely photos alfie especially the osteospermums, they always look so happy.

Like the frilly poppy, mine are self seeded and are all singles. Bees flock to them though and the Hypericum calycinum (Rose Of Sharon) sounds like it is going to take off with all the bees buzzing.

Anyone been to visit the gardens at Quex in Kent?
    http://www.quexpark.co.uk/museum/quex-gardens/

Looks lovely and they sell plants too!

I live in Birchington, and my allotment is opposite Quex. It is lovely. small garden centre on the site and a few plants for sale at Quex itself.
    Carolbee
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks carolbee

Will definitely go now. And plants to buy too! I'll have to take DH's credit card :rotfl::rotfl:

Any other gardens to visit in the area that you would recommend? Needs to have disabled access for my wheelchair.

It that your peacock alfie?
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks carolbee

Will definitely go now. And plants to buy too! I'll have to take DH's credit card :rotfl::rotfl:

Any other gardens to visit in the area that you would recommend? Needs to have disabled access for my wheelchair.

I will have a think. Do you live, or are you holidaying in the area?
    Carolbee
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    morning all

betterdays... the peacock is down the track here where the horses are . used to have 2 wifeys but trouble is they get taken when they are egg sitting.. we are looking for some more girlies and encourage them to "sit" in a stable we can secure.

very light drizzle here tday.. grass needs it !
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    why is it that cats always want to sit on your lap and "love" you after coming in from the rain !! :eek: :o
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 July 2015 at 5:15PM
    Options

I don't think anyone owns free-ranging peacocks! :rotfl:The Lord of the Manor 'owned' them where Dad used to live, but they just wandered around the town, holding up the traffic and carping in people's gardens. EDIT: Come to think of it, the L of the M wasn't much different either! :rotfl:Lir might know who I mean! ;)

Bad morning. Not only is it raining but due to an annoying set of circumstances I have stranded DW 90 miles away!

Yesterday I had to renew the car insurance, but in my wisdom I decided to do all the running-around first, so I wasn't back very quickly from Exeter, "No matter," I thought, they'll still be there."

Wrong. My insurers close at 4pm on a Saturday and don't open by 'phone or internet at all Sundays.:mad:

So, car isn't insured and can't move. DW is trapped with Outlaws. I am in doghouse! :o:o

(Oh I could get it insured today with the Dog (Oh yus!) or Direct Lion, but at an extra cost of between £75 and £165! :eek:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback