Can anyone help?

hI, i was made bankrupt in 1999, 3 years after being out of my self employment.The amount was for £35k I'm still going through it now but the amount due is now £79k. I'm a single parent with a teenager and a 1 year old. There is equity in my house to cover the £79k.I have contacted the majority of my creditors and there is no longer a debt owing, as after 6 years most companies write debts off. I have been told by my OR that it doesnt matter they will still claim what they believe to be owed???How can this be? who will get the money? My OR has informed me that they have to have full payment by the end of March as otherwise they will not be able to get anything from me and they would be seen as negligent.They are at the moment going for possesion on my house. Also i have had previous letters from them stating the value of the debts have not been agreed. They will not give me information to enable me to further my enquiries with Nat West bank, can they with hold details from me?

Comments

• This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Did one of your creditors take out a charging order on your house? If they did this and decided that they want their money then they could force a sale.
  • No they never.Also one of the creditors are claiming for rent of which i have never signed a contract of agreement on, do you know where i stand on this?
  • I think, maybe, you need to take legal advice on this. If you go to the CAB they have solicitors who work free of charge who can advise you.

It all seems very strange to me.

The rules on bankruptcy changed in 2004 whereupon if the OR wants the property it has to be declared and done and sorted within 3 years.
    You fell under the old scheme so I would assume you still fall under those rules and regulations.

Do take legal advice on this one.
  • Thanks for the advise.I have tried the CAB a few years ago.I have spoken to a solicitor today as there is a lot of haggling to be done but the OR wont do it with me!!Apparently if there were assest when someone went bankrupt then it could be open ended. But now all old bankruptcies must be dealt with by the end of March this year. I always used to think that bankruptcy was there to cap a debt and not carry on for years incurring interest, well i've certainly lived and learnt. My bankruptcy has just been a total hash from the start hay ho life goes on....there's worse things happening out there. Again thanks for your reply. It's nice to know that there's someone to talk to.
  • Bankruptcy is usually the end of it, for most people.

If you won't consult anyone in a professional capacity then I don't know how you are going to move forward with this at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure