please help

Hi

new to this and a bit naive! Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue for me?

I change my mortgage and provider 2 yrs ago, and have just realised I had been continuing to pay the repayment protection on this loan ever since, despite having settled the full amount owing.

Does anyone think I would be entitled to this money back? it was effectively insurance for a product I no longer had...or should I just accept I should have been more careful about checking what was coming out of my account every month and be more savvy in future?!

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    snic70 wrote: »
    Hi

new to this and a bit naive! Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue for me?

I change my mortgage and provider 2 yrs ago, and have just realised I had been continuing to pay the repayment protection on this loan ever since, despite having settled the full amount owing.

Does anyone think I would be entitled to this money back? it was effectively insurance for a product I no longer had...or should I just accept I should have been more careful about checking what was coming out of my account every month and be more savvy in future?!

Hi there

And welcome.;)

I would write to them and explain your situation here and ask for a refund of what you have paid since the time you changed over providers.

I take it you also have mortgage protection to cover your mortgage anyway then?

Also request for any interest as well as the protection insurance to be returned directly to you.

They have 8 weeks to resolve this, if they don't respond at all in that timescale, you can take this matter to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) who will continue to investigate this for you, or if for some reason the company does not resolve your case you can also move on to the FOS.

Post all letters by recorded delivery for your proof of posting.

Another letter maybe required, but keep at them until you exhaust their complaint procedures.

Good luck and please keep us posted, if you require any further help, please just ask.;)

Di
    X
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Hi

Hi You could appeal to their better side and ask very nicely etc etc. In reality I think you will have to put this one down to experience as it is up to you to cancel the insurance if it is no longer required. This payment protection was a stand along insurance I presume. Soz:confused:
    :mad:
  • thanks for taking the time to answer my plea! Will give it a go and post any positive result

thanks again
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    thanks for taking the time to answer my plea! Will give it a go and post any positive result

thanks again

You more than welcome well done for keep going.
    :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport