Equipment failures after power cut

marylee
marylee Posts: 497 Forumite
My video went dead after two power cuts in my street. somebody advised me that I could claim from my electricity provider. I wrote to Scottishpower and was informed that they do not accept liability for any losses or expenses related to power cuts. No UK electricity company pays for such failures. Does anybody know whether this is true or has anybody claim for such failure? Thanks

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I believe the only cases where electricty companies have admitted liability is when there have been power surges.

Equipment should never suffer failure from loss of power; and if you suspect it did, should you not take it up with the equipment manufacturer? I suspect they would not admit that power failure will cause damage.
  • ffym
    ffym Posts: 305 Forumite
    Your biggest problem will be proving what happened. The cause of your power cuts could well have resulted in an overvoltage surge into your premises, this could cause equipment failures, particularly with electronic equipment. Proving it is your problem, if your neighbours have had similar problems then you could get together and make a case as I believe the supply company could be liable. If you get nowhere it may be worth investing in an anti surge power lead for anything expensive. It's usually a cheap component that blows, but it can cost a fortune to fix.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure