Nationwides Target Return Fund, opinions please.

What's your opinion on Nationwides Target Return Fund please? Possibly a good long term plan?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savingsinvestments/long-term-investments/your-investment-options/target-return-fund/default.htm

Thanks.

Comments

• cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, bingobango,

It's a dreadful fund. It will be largely invested in cash, bonds and gilts from the look of it. The " target return " is 2.5% over the (weighted average) base rate, and is by no means guaranteed. Almost certainly not a good long term plan; for the long term, the best investment performance is provided by the stock market.

Cheerfulcat
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its a cautious managed fund. Personally I avoid these like the plague. A low risk individual may be better off looking at index linked, gilts and commericial property which are all in the same risk bracket. And if required, include some equities into that portfolio.

Plus, its a bank/building society product. Another reason to avoid it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • thanks for the ops,
    bb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family