Help please - use of car which is not yours when bankrupt

Options
13»

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Why couldn't you be the sole user of the vehicle but the owner be also insured so they may drive their vehicle if they choose to do so?

DD

As an added driver, as long as you remain the main one.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • minic
    minic Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I recently took out a car insurance policy with Admiral. I am not the owner or registered keeper of the vehicle (although the registered keeper does live at the same address so not sure if that makes a difference), might be worth a call to them.

M
  • AdvicePlease
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the advice, but it is not to be - my dad withdrew his offer of support tonight, and has given me the minimum amount needed to make basic repairs to my existing car. No reason, other than a different day and he is in a different mood tonight :o

I DO recognise that it is good of him to give me the money for the repairs, please do not think I am not appreciating that, but a bit of a change from last night :o
  • LiloMan
    LiloMan Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, sorry for dredging up an old thread. I wasn't sure if this answers my query or not.

Here goes, I was made bankrupt in February this year so won't be discharged until next year. My brother wants to give me his old car, which is worth about £200, but he doesn't know I'm bankrupt. He just wants it off his driveway so giving it away for free pretty much.

My partner could, in theory, take up ownership as we are not financially linked (apart from she is a named creditor, who isn't going to get anything from my bankruptcy) and we live at separate addresses. Do I need to declare any of this to the OR?

Would it be possible to have her as the main driver of the car for insurance etc, and I could be a named driver?

Thanks in advance!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport