venting about annoying people

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Still, I bet you feel better now Bob, they say it's good to get it off your chest. That is, after all, the point of this forum!
  • bobwilson
    bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    No, by making connections I was thinking about getting to know people eg local cafe, ,library,
    Grocers.
    I've never met a tradesman that didn't want cash only.

You may have thought that but you didn't say that. In parts of the country, the culture isn't always such that you can get to know people at local cafes, so that's still very presumptuous but fortunately we live in a friendly part. Indeed we have gotten to know people, and those are in the same position as us- no one decent to recommend.

"tradesman who didn't want cash", not "that didn't want cash".
  • bobwilson
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Still, I bet you feel better now Bob, they say it's good to get it off your chest. That is, after all, the point of this forum!

One would have thought so! Perhaps the rest of the forum members need reminding of this fact?

The thing about getting it off your chest is that when people reply with derogatory comments, trolling, or ignoring you completely, it doesn't work.
  • bobwilson
    owen_money wrote: »
    Bob, fix a window? If you'd bought the Sunbright windows you'd have been ok, they last forever.

You're assuming we bought these windows or had them installed. We didn't. That's the problem with assumptions, it's so easy to get it wrong. I'm taking it you have an issue with Sunbright?
  • owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2018 at 5:33PM
    I didnt assume anything, I said if you HAD have bought them you'd have been ok.

You assumed I had assumed, when in fact no assumption had been made by me, but you assumed I had

I've no problem with Sunbright, but I remember you did, again comedy gold :)
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It sounds like you should learn some basic DIY and you would be able to save a lot of money by not having to hire trades people for basic jobs.

But I definetly wouldn't want to live where you are with unfriendly neighbours and people actually trying to break into your house!!. I hope you also have security cameras to catch anyone trying to break in.
  • bobwilson
    edited 16 May 2018 at 5:48PM
    takman wrote: »
    It sounds like you should learn some basic DIY and you would be able to save a lot of money by not having to hire trades people for basic jobs.

What makes you assume I don't earn more per hour than I'd save by taking a break from my job doing it myself? What makes you think plumbing for an internal shower in the wall, is "basic DIY"?

The other reputed professional plumbers we hired didn't even know you could remove it without destroying the wall- and wanted us to pay them £hundreds to take a look- by destroying the tiles and re-tiling- unlike this child, who seemed to know the knack to it. How is something even experienced plumbers don't know "Basic DIY"? You assume a lot, but do you have the experience to back up your assumptions?
    But I definetly wouldn't want to live where you are with unfriendly neighbours and people actually trying to break into your house!!. I hope you also have security cameras to catch anyone trying to break in.

Thanks for that comment. We really enjoy living in a dangerous area with unfriendly neighbours & lots of crime.
  • bobwilson
    The problem with the shower was fixed by removing litter from a control dial in less than 5 minutes with a screwdriver and the problem with the window was fixed by oiling it. You can't get much more basic DIY than that and you paid £150 in total for the two jobs!.

You're conveniently missing off the fact that several professional plumbers took a look & didn't know how to remove the shower thing to reach the dial, and I didn't realise taking a crowbar to the window wouldn't shatter it. As it happened, the child knew about the shower dial, and the window men didn't care whether they broke the window or not (presumably they'd have just left me windowless). So it's not quite as "simple" as you make conveniently make out. You're also not really aware of what I'm doing in my life at the moment- perhaps I'm up to my neck in other DIY things because I can't find builders? You just can't assume the way you are. Unless- would you like to give me your number & you can come over and do these tasks, since you think they're so "basic"? Thought not. I suspect I've done a lot more DIY in my life than you ever have.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bobwilson wrote: »
    You may have thought that but you didn't say that. In parts of the country, the culture isn't always such that you can get to know people at local cafes, so that's still very presumptuous but fortunately we live in a friendly part. Indeed we have gotten to know people, and those are in the same position as us- no one decent to recommend.

"tradesman who didn't want cash", not "that didn't want cash".

So , it's presumptuous to assume you are living in a friendly part, but you are.:D
    Which are the unfriendly places( taking notes)?
  • owen_money
    owen_money Posts: 764 Forumite
    bobwilson wrote: »
    You're conveniently missing off the fact that several professional plumbers took a look & didn't know how to remove the shower thing to reach the dial, and I didn't realise taking a crowbar to the window wouldn't shatter it. As it happened, the child knew about the shower dial, and the window men didn't care whether they broke the window or not (presumably they'd have just left me windowless). So it's not quite as "simple" as you make conveniently make out. You're also not really aware of what I'm doing in my life at the moment- perhaps I'm up to my neck in other DIY things because I can't find builders? You just can't assume the way you are. Unless- would you like to give me your number & you can come over and do these tasks, since you think they're so "basic"? Thought not. I suspect I've done a lot more DIY in my life than you ever have.

Personally I'd always hire a school boy to do DIY jobs, although I must insist he had his own satchel and told him mum where he was going.

Bob, dont worry about being windowless, you dont need windows, you could use Linux, its free and plus the school boy could install it for you, for a small fee.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure