What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th April?

Comments

• spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    spudsmum I read your diary the other day and wanted to say to you you can freeze baked beans - no more 1/2 eaten and festering tins in the fridge! Also I always use beans in chilli just wash off the sauce first ;)

Thanks DNMS - i do use baked beans in chilli and in sausage caserole. Had no idea you could freeze them though.
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 1:56PM
    allydowd wrote: »

* Going for a Bike and Go cycle this morning.

Plan A: Rent cycle from usual Bike & Go place on mainland for £3.80, catch ferry to island for £3.30, cycle round island. Cost £7.10.

Became...

Plan B: Catch ferry to island for £3.30, take bus to town for £3.30, rent cycle for £4.50 from Mapes, cycle round island. Cost £11.10.

....Because there was no "man" at the railway station to give me the key today as planned owing to staff shortages. :mad:

Complained to Bike & Go, who are going to credit me one-day's hire free: £3.80...so I will only have spent £4 more than planned, and the day's plans weren't ruined. :)

DW came with me, paid nothing on the bus and went for a walk/photogra-faff while I cycled.

Very cold and (now) wet here so an afternoon of DVDs we already own awaits.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 2:03PM
    spudsmum wrote: »
    Thanks DNMS - i do use baked beans in chilli and in sausage caserole. Had no idea you could freeze them though.

Spudsmum: You can freeze almost anything, other than eggs in their shells.

Lettuce and cucumber can be frozen but will be soggy when defrosted...but could still be added to soups.

Soft cheeses with a high water content, like cottage cheese, ricotta, and cream cheese lose their fluffy texture when defrosted, but they are still edible.

Mayonnaise and cream separate and curdle after freezing.

Most other things are freezable.

Blocks of cheddar freeze just fine.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd wrote: »

Lettuce and cucumber can be frozen but will be soggy when defrosted...but could still be added to soups.

Soft cheeses with a high water content, like cottage cheese, ricotta, and cream cheese lose their fluffy texture when defrosted, but they are still edible.

more often than not I buy cheese when I spot it ys and then grate and freeze. Perfect for our needs

I agree I freeze almost everything! The challenge is eating it afterwards....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • more often than not I buy cheese when I spot it ys and then grate and freeze. Perfect for our needs

I agree I freeze almost everything! The challenge is eating it afterwards....

Plot twist: DNMS actually lives in a branch of Iceland Food Warehouse :D
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Plot twist: DNMS actually lives in a branch of Iceland Food Warehouse :D

Jaysus! It's taken forever for the penny to drop.... :rotfl:
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,027
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Evening all,
    Oh my days....will it ever stop raining?
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Stretched 1 leftover frying steak to make a nice sweet & sour stir-fry & noodles for two.
    *Unpacked my summer clothes & put my most wintery stuff away.
    *Did a couple of surveys.
    *Made some notes from 2 or 3 healthy eating books for ideas for a few calorie-controlled lunches which are a bit more creative in terms of nutrition, as well as economical.
    *Did a cheap load of laundry overnight but not a chance of pegging it out so it's on the heated airer, probably cancelling out my saving.
    Never mind, it's been quite a positive day in some respects.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    allydowd wrote: »

I find cream is fine for cooking purposes after freezing, such as added to a quiche. It is only a texture / appearance thing, doesn't affect the taste, and if it is whisked with other stuff, you don't notice it anyway.
  • Morning :) I've been up for a while - watching more sewing p0rn :o:D so yesterday's alternations to dress didn't go according to plan! Luckily as I wasn't certain I just tacked it together before cutting :) so today's attempt II I am going to use a dress I like the shape of as a guide ;) Might go do that shortly...

Things for today:

* checked banking
    * read martin's email - really not much doing this week...
    * hang up washing
    * flylady upstairs
    * think of something fun to do today with madam. She had a play date she was so looking forward to but the mum cancelled yesterday :( She is going to be very disappointed
    * onepoll
    * Portion up and freeze red braised cabbage cooked yesterday
    * do 50% of my dress :D
    * sow some seeds - really happy I finally started yesterday :D honestly it was the thought of it still being on my list and never getting done that spurred me on!
    * check meal plan and get anything out of freezer
    * cook chicken breast for oh's lunch. will use a ys wrap ;)
    * meeting up with a friend this evening for a catch up :)

that'll do! Happy Wednesday guys :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,027
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning Money Savers,
    Am out this morning supporting a charity thing. Also aiming to pot up baby aubergine & pepper plants, crochet around a few more blanket squares, check online banking for a paypal payment & transfer it to LPDF if it's there. Jacket potato night tonight. Mr f is finishing off the last portion of smoky pork chilli from the freezer & I fancy salad & some kind of fish with mine. Will have to pay £4.50 for car parking today so will take the opportunity to do all my town jobs, such as posting an ebay parcel, while I'm there.
    Have a good day all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure