Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Pmaddocks86
    Options
    Hi All,

I have been looking at getting an Airline credit card, but I am questioning whether they are worth it vs a cashback card. It looks like a lot of T&Cs and restrictions on how you can use your points?

I do a few trips a year currently in Europe and am planning a few further afield in the next year or so, so am looking at ways to reduce the cost of travel.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    but I am questioning whether they are worth it vs a cashback card.

If you are willing to put in a little effort then it's better than cashback. For example take the Amex card and get the introductory points from that.

It looks like a lot of T&Cs and restrictions on how you can use your points?

Can you give an example of what you mean? If you fly a few times a year you shouldn't have an issue redeeming points - Christmas day/New Year - yes you probably can't use them, but I can't see why you shouldn't be able to redeem them.

If you don't want to make any effort then probably an Amazon Visa card might be the best bet if you buy things from Amazon.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi All,

I have been looking at getting an Airline credit card, but I am questioning whether they are worth it vs a cashback card. It looks like a lot of T&Cs and restrictions on how you can use your points?

I do a few trips a year currently in Europe and am planning a few further afield in the next year or so, so am looking at ways to reduce the cost of travel.

BA promise a minimum of 2 business class and 4 economy seats available for redemption on every flight - including Xmas and New Year. Other seats are released according to demand. If there is low demand from fare paying customers, they will release redemption seats. You will find PE and 1st seats available on some flights.

Many people will book a year in advance, as soon as flights go on sale, to get the redemption seats they are after. But seats are often available nearer the time.

In terms of "is it worth it", it depends how you will use the miles.

If you collect Avios using the free BA/Amex card, you get 1 Avios per £1 spent. You are forfeiting 0.5p per pound spent that you could earn on a cashback card. So is one Avios worth 0.5p?

For me, yes. My aim is to redeem for long haul business class. To fly to NYC and back in business class, you need 100,000 Avios. If you have paid 0.5p per Avios, then that's £500. On top of that, you pay fees and charges, which are about £530.

£1030 for a business class flight to NYC is very good value, but it can be even better. If you want to take someone with you, then upgrade your Amex to BAPP for £195. Spend £10K in your account year and you get a two for one voucher. Two people return to NYC in business class for £1755. That's a real bargain. And that's assuming your Avios have cost you as much as 0.5p

My Avios cost me, on average, 0.3p.

Last year, I collected 134,685 Avios from the following sources:-

Tesco - 39,600
    On line surveys - 24,995
    Credit Card Spending - 22,091
    Car Hire - 18,700
    Flights - 14,634
    Shopping - 6,705
    Miscellaneous - 7,960

And I'm still fairly new to this game. The one thing I've not even looked at yet is "churning". Cancelling your credit card and reapplying after 6 months for a new sign up bonus.

My OH and I are flying business class to LA this summer. It is costing us less than £720 each. At the time I booked the tickets (last June), it would have cost more than £2000 each if I had paid cash. And redemption tickets are flexible. I could cancel now, and get my money and Avios back, except for a £30 admin fee.

And we already have enough miles saved up for another long haul flight next year.

Many people use Avios for short haul economy flights. With a reward flight saver, the fees and taxes are capped at £35 return, meaning you can get a return ticket to most places in Europe for £100. This can be good value in school holidays.

The one place where they are not good value is for long haul economy, where the Avios plus the very high fees and taxes can be more expensive than a cash ticket.

If you want to learn more, head over to https://www.headforpoints.com

And if your going to apply for an Airline Credit Card, ask someone to refer you so you get a referral bonus on top of the sign up bonus.
  • j1mgg
    j1mgg Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Currently moved position at work and will be doing a bit more travel, i have a corporate amex, but looking to swap this for a airmiles card(basically the company doesnt seem to clear this, only when i have submitted expenses, so i dont see the point in it).

I mainly fly in the UK, which seems to be more with flybe, but BA now and again. I may be going back to india, which was business class, but split between BA and Jet India, should i go for the BA card with £195 fee as I am sure the £10k would be easy, and aim for a return business to NY for my partner and I using the companion?

Can i transfer jetprivelage points to avios?

Thanks

jim
  • Dan5819
    Options
    Virgin BA or Emirates,

it's nearly like choosing a mortgage the number of things to consider.

I travel to the far east a lot, so feeling good about Emirates, even if it's not financially the best option.

Anybody else's opinion?
  • Vehlin
    Vehlin Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2017 at 12:20PM
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with the current ranking on the site.

The Free BA Amex gives a 5000 point bonus on £1000 spend in 3 months and a companion voucher after £20000 annual spend. With 1 Avios per £1 spent.

The £195 BA Amex gives 25000 points on a 3k spend in 3 months and a companion voucher after £10,000 spend. With 1.5 points per £1 spent.

If you hit that £20,000 spend for the companion voucher on the free card (literally the only reason to get either of these cards as the Gold Charge card has equal rewards otherwise) Then you will have earned 25000 avios (20k + 5k bonus).

If you spent that same £20,000 on the paid card you'd get 55,000 Avios (30k + 25k Bonus). So that's an additional 30,000 Avios for £195 which is 0.65p per Avios.

You could even take the paid BA card. Spend 10k in the first 6 months, get 40,000 Avios (15k + 25k bonus), still get a companion voucher (which is valid for 2 years instead of 1) and then sign up for a Gold Amex, spend the other £10k on that to get 30,000 avios (10k + 20k sign up bonus).

I just don't see the point in the free BA card. If you're not going to spend £20k and get the companion voucher there are better cards out there. If you are going to spend the £20k then you're better off with the paid one.
  • Nick_C
    edited 4 December 2017 at 3:12PM
    Options
    With the BAPP, I would look at the £195 as being the cost of the 241 voucher.

Use it for two Business Class Tickets to NY and you are saving at least 100,000 avios for £195, so less than 0.2p per avios.

You can upgrade and downgrade between the two BA cards. For example, spend £9000 on the free BA card, then upgrade and only spend a further £1000 to get the voucher.

Or earn the voucher on the paid card, then downgrade and get a pro rata refund on the fee.

https://www.headforpoints.com is the best place to compare airline credit cards, and find out about easy ways to earn avios
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    On line surveys - 24,995

What survey sites are you using? How often?

I've gotten 1,000 Virgin Flying Club Miles via eRewards, but there are not many surveys and it takes too long to get enough to redeem.

~ 25k miles is a lot and I'm interested to know :)
  • Vehlin
    Vehlin Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    With the BAPP, I would look at the £195 as being the cost of the 241 voucher.

Use it for two Business Class Tickets to NY and you are saving at least 100,000 avios for £195, so less than 0.2p per avios.

You can upgrade and downgrade between the two BA cards. For example, spend £9000 on the free BA card, then upgrade and only spend a further £1000 to get the voucher.

Or earn the voucher on the paid card, then downgrade and get a pro rata refund on the fee.

headforpoints is the best place to compare airline credit cards, and find out about easy ways to earn avios

That was largely my point. MSE ranks the free card higher than the paid one, yet there's really no reason to get the free one. If you want the voucher then pay the fee and get spend £10k. If you don't want the voucher then get a different card entirely (either the preferred rewards gold card or Platinum Cashback) because 1 Avios per £1 spent is a terrible return compared to other options.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    Vehlin wrote: »
    That was largely my point. MSE ranks the free card higher than the paid one, yet there's really no reason to get the free one. If you want the voucher then pay the fee and get spend £10k. If you don't want the voucher then get a different card entirely (either the preferred rewards gold card or Platinum Cashback) because 1 Avios per £1 spent is a terrible return compared to other options.

I think the only reason to use the free BA card is if you are saving for a long time for a flight, and you don't need a voucher in the next year.

I've temporarily downgraded to the free card, because I have a voucher banked and I'm getting more avios/£ with my Lloyds card.

And if you are travelling solo, the Lloyds Avios card is better, as it allows one person to travel in Club World for the (avios) price of World Traveller plus
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure