Career change tips/advice.

Hello!

There's a couple of threads in similar veins, but I didn't want to hijack anyone's posts.

I am 30, working in hairdressing for ten years, self employed in a rented 'chair' for six years. I'm ready to move on.

I'm looking at working in an admin post and this week's applications have been to posts in the civil service, local council, NHS, local university etc. All lower grades/bands, because I know I need to start at the bottom.

As I am self employed, I do all my own admin, marketing and much of my reception duties and I think my application is decent at reflecting my transferable skills. Am I right in doing this? Whilst I acknowledge the fact I do hairdressing and such, I focus on the administrative side because that's what I want. Just having a wobble that it might not be the right way to go about it.

I'm doing an OU degree so am focusing on that too, particularly when asked about self improvement/motivation and time management. I'm trying to teach myself some stronger knowledge on Excel as I do lack this (but fine with Word).

My other query was regarding referees/references. As self employed, I am struggling. I have no employer reference and I do not want to use my landlord because I don't want him to know I am planning to leave. So, with character references being my main option, what time of person should I be asking to be one for me? It's been a long time since I've done this.

And finally, any interview tips? I've only applied for one job so far, got to interview stage (civil service) and was unsuccessful. I am a nervous person and I worry I ramble and repeat the content of my application. I'd love some tips on how to perform better.

I think really, I am just looking for some reassurance that I can pull this off and that I am not stupid for thinking I can do this prior to actually obtaining my degree (I won't graduate until 2018 but I need a full time job ASAP).

Thanks.

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Do you have any clients who are articulate or in respected professions that have been coming to you regularly for years? If you feel comfortable asking then maybe one could be a reference, they could say that you've always been reliable, professional, well organised and that you have good customer service skills etc.

Do you have a personal tutor or academic advisor of any kind on your OU degree (sorry I'm not familiar with how they work.)
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    If you have the time (and inclination!) you could maybe find some volunteer admin work. This could help you gain further skills, and also provide a reference.

Obviously as you're working and studying I don't mean something like 4 days a week at a large charity head office :D, but maybe there's a small local charity or volunteer group that would love some help for one afternoon a month or similar.
  • Do you have any clients who are articulate or in respected professions that have been coming to you regularly for years? If you feel comfortable asking then maybe one could be a reference, they could say that you've always been reliable, professional, well organised and that you have good customer service skills etc.

Do you have a personal tutor or academic advisor of any kind on your OU degree (sorry I'm not familiar with how they work.)

I do have a tutor and I could ask her, but I think it would be a very bland reference, only because we don't have a lot of contact - she marks my work and answers my queries, but our relationship is fairly minimalist.

Yep, I do have a client that could help me and I have got her details, but she is the only one I would feel comfortable telling before actually going. People tend to panic if you talk to much about a career change without realising it could take months and I need the clientele to earn money until then, haha.
  • tea_lover wrote: »
    If you have the time (and inclination!) you could maybe find some volunteer admin work. This could help you gain further skills, and also provide a reference.

Obviously as you're working and studying I don't mean something like 4 days a week at a large charity head office :D, but maybe there's a small local charity or volunteer group that would love some help for one afternoon a month or similar.

This is a good idea, but one I might need to hold on to for a while. I don't have a huge amount of free time, but if nothing comes from this batch of applications then I will have to find time. Would need to see what organisations having any offices around here, I'm fairly rural.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You got an interview, so that's a good sign that your application is at least ok. My advice would be to do some research about the department you are applying for so you can show that you have some understanding of what kind of admin you'll be doing and also to show your commitment in moving into the public sector.

Ideally, it would be good to do that before you apply and reflect it in your application. Your lack of experience in the sector will go more against you than your lack of experience in admin, so you need to focus on this.

Also, as you point out yourself, ideally, you would need to show experience using Excel, Powerpoint and Access or similar. There is a basic course you can do to evidence your skills, it might be worth looking into it.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I do have a tutor and I could ask her, but I think it would be a very bland reference, only because we don't have a lot of contact - she marks my work and answers my queries, but our relationship is fairly minimalist.

Even if she doesn't know you well, she's in a good position to comment on your language, communication and IT skills, and your ability to meet deadlines, juggle multiple tasks, time management etc.

If I were you (and please bear in mind I'm not a careers advisor and I don't work in recruitment, this is just what I'd do in your shoes) I would use your trusted client and your personal tutor as your references. Both are formal, work related contacts who know your skills in relation to the type of work needed for admin roles, so it makes sense to me, at least!
  • Even if she doesn't know you well, she's in a good position to comment on your language, communication and IT skills, and your ability to meet deadlines, juggle multiple tasks, time management etc.

If I were you (and please bear in mind I'm not a careers advisor and I don't work in recruitment, this is just what I'd do in your shoes) I would use your trusted client and your personal tutor as your references. Both are formal, work related contacts who know your skills in relation to the type of work needed for admin roles, so it makes sense to me, at least!

Thanks for this, I've been trying to draw out these abilities you mention with every application, so hopefully it will work. I shall indeed use these references. I do have one that is work related, I don't want to explain too much for fear of recognition, basically this person works in a public service department and has been my point of contact for certain clients. Hopefully that will proof of awareness of sensitive data/issues and ability to work with other 'official' type places/people.
  • FBaby wrote: »
    You got an interview, so that's a good sign that your application is at least ok. My advice would be to do some research about the department you are applying for so you can show that you have some understanding of what kind of admin you'll be doing and also to show your commitment in moving into the public sector.

Ideally, it would be good to do that before you apply and reflect it in your application. Your lack of experience in the sector will go more against you than your lack of experience in admin, so you need to focus on this.

Also, as you point out yourself, ideally, you would need to show experience using Excel, Powerpoint and Access or similar. There is a basic course you can do to evidence your skills, it might be worth looking into it.

Thanks Fbaby. I've also done as you've mentioned and researched departments as best as I can, but I definitely could do more to utilise that in the application itself. I think I could do with some work on using it at interview though. Perhaps I am too self aware - but I always feel it difficult to make it sound natural and useful.

As for the Office course, do you have any personal recommendations? The idea of actually doing a course for this, even online, has crossed my mind, but I'm not sure what's legit, but also not too pricey. I've just been using Youtube to get my knowledge so far. My local college does Word Processing courses, but they don't start until September and are the length of an academic year. If I haven't got anything by then, I'll be happy to sign up to one, but something else in the meantime could be useful.
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't worry hugely about references being bland if you are applying for the NHS. Most NHS Trusts now will only provide a reference that gives your work dates, sickness levels and any outstanding disciplinary action. They aren't expecting much.

That being said, good luck!
  • Thanks Michelle, good to know!

If anyone has interview tips, I'll take them! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure