Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kuepper wrote: »
    As an alternative to compensation recoverers and the small claims court, for European airlines try the free service of http://www.ukecc.net/ It worked for me

It did once anyway! I have just contacted them about another 3+ hrs delay I've had and they say they are unable to help me and I should contact the the caa of the country (portugal) where I experienced the delay. I had already done that 3 times and got no response so I'm disappointed as they were prepared to take on my previous case because I wasn't getting a response from the german caa
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sweetsue wrote: »
    Hi, I would be grateful for some advice, three of us travelled to Hurghada in March, we were delayed by almost five hours. I claimed compensation in early April and heard nothing until today when I received a standard letter of apology with a voucher in my name as the lead passenger for £700. I wondered how they came to that figure and if it is correct? Also In the envelope with my letter was a letter to a Mr Barker rejecting his claim which I will forward on!
    Many thanks
    Sue
    Which bunch of comedians did you fly with?. I would write back saying you want the full amount of compensation you are entitled to under EC 261 / 2004, and paid in cash as per your entitlement. Do not return the vouchers until you get cash. When you forward the letter to Mr. Barker, suggest that he sues them under the data protection act.What was the flight no. and dates?
  • m3kal
    m3kal Posts: 8 Forumite
    Ok so i made a complaint to TC because last yr my flight in/out were delayed. Had an email from them showing me an offer in form of a voucher like others have had, i spoken to them said i would like a cheque instead, no problems.....

Few weeks later cheque comes in post, however only half the amount they told me!! Not happy contacted tc customer relations they said they made a mistake, I told them wasnt happy made plans etc etc.

so they basically left me there, Ive now took this to the CAA as its not my fault they made me an offer and only pay half. Ive proof of this and sent it to CAA..

Will see how this goes and will report back
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    m3kal wrote: »
    Ok so i made a complaint to TC because last yr my flight in/out were delayed. Had an email from them showing me an offer in form of a voucher like others have had, i spoken to them said i would like a cheque instead, no problems.....

Few weeks later cheque comes in post, however only half the amount they told me!! Not happy contacted tc customer relations they said they made a mistake, I told them wasnt happy made plans etc etc.

so they basically left me there, Ive now took this to the CAA as its not my fault they made me an offer and only pay half. Ive proof of this and sent it to CAA..

Will see how this goes and will report back

More details please: how much were you promised, how much were you paid, and for what delay/distance/number of people?
  • Liz_del
    Liz_del Posts: 5 Forumite
    We've just come back from nice after being delayed for 3 days
    Although the air line changed the flights at no extra cost can we claim for the extra hotel ,food and car parking we have had to pay out
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    the airline's fault or yours?
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • our plane was delayed for over three hours in Portugal, i used your website letter and after a month wait, i just got the email from Monarch: lot of blah blah and then a no, those were exceptional circumstances.

"Further to your claim for delay compensation, we are writing to advise the outcome of our investigation into your case.

Monarch Airlines aims as its first priority to provide its passengers with a safe and efficient service. We would like to reassure you that every reasonable effort is made to ensure that our flights depart on time and in the unlikely event we are unable to do so through disruption, we aim to provide a solution at the earliest opportunity.

As previously advised, in some circumstances passengers may be entitled to compensation for delay arising from such disruption under European Union laws. However, any monetary payments are subject to certain criteria being satisfied. Under these laws where the disruption is caused by an ‘extraordinary circumstance’ which the airline was reasonably unable to prevent, the carrier is not obliged to pay compensation. Extraordinary circumstances have been defined by the courts and the European Regulations themselves provide a non-exhaustive list of which circumstances can indeed be categorised as extraordinary.

Our records show that the aircraft that was originally scheduled to operate your flight developed a fault with the traffic collision avoidance system antenna during a previous flight. This rendered the aircraft unserviceable and unsafe to operate until the antennae could be replaced.

As a consequence, your departure was unavoidably delayed. However, in order to reduce the delay and minimise disruption, we transferred passengers to the first available aircraft from within our fleet and your flight departed at the earliest opportunity once the replacement aircraft had completed its previous flying commitments.

Having considered the factual background of this case, we are satisfied that the disruption was caused by an extraordinary circumstance that could not have reasonably been prevented by Monarch Airlines. We are, therefore, unable to accept your claim for compensation for the reasons given.

Yours sincerely,"
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Gerco14 - best to go over to the thread specifically for Monarch delays...you will see many people get similar letters so you may need to get ready for court action. You can also check the first post in that thread, your flight may already be mentioned
  • don_quiote
    don_quiote Posts: 12 Forumite
    Liz_del wrote: »
    We've just come back from nice after being delayed for 3 days
    Although the air line changed the flights at no extra cost can we claim for the extra hotel ,food and car parking we have had to pay out
    Which airline and what earthly reason could they give for such a delay
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Could this be related to the French strikes?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback