Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Comments

• Thanks for that, it looks like things are starting to warm up.

I was cross that I missed Nationwides Xmas Loyalty Fixed ISA.
    I'd already locked up previous years ISA.s with M&S for 3yrs at 4%, but hadn't subscribed to one for this tax year yet.
  • I'd already locked up previous years ISA.s with M&S for 3yrs at 4%, but hadn't subscribed to one for this tax year yet.

I also took advantage of the M&S for 3yrs at 4%. I think this was the best at the time. Any one regret subscribing to this ISA ?
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • jimbow25
    jimbow25 Posts: 350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I also took advantage of the M&S for 3yrs at 4%. I think this was the best at the time. Any one regret subscribing to this ISA ?
    I'm really pleased I did subscribe to it - guaranteed 4% interest in spite of rates having stayed poor in 2010/11, and the real bonus was the £100 flat penalty for breaking it early rather than losing 3 or 6 months' interest. A few useful calculations were posted on here at the time, but for a larger transfer in, that would be a far smaller penalty! I doubt I will be able to leave mine until April 2013 but it'll be a small bonus, interest-wise, if I do.

What's to regret?
  • jimbow25
    jimbow25 Posts: 350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This thread is very useful - can I make a suggestion ahead of the next ISA season?

Fixed rates are still popular at the moment with rates obviously being higher, and all Fixed rate ISAs allow withdrawals subject to penalties. Could the penalty for each account also be included?

I'm just wondering because I'd have totally overlooked the M&S Money ISA last year, based on this thread, when in fact it was the best option for my transfer in, due to the £100 flat penalty on the 3 year bond (as opposed to 3 months / 6 months interest). Maybe others would appreciate this info? At least for the longer term bonds?
  • wrenlegs
    wrenlegs Posts: 292
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    aargh! Not very good with isas so some advice would be really uesful if anyone could help. id like to invest around £4k in an isa. Would leave it for no longer than a year - best place?
    :money: Saving money, saving the environment and saving space (aka decluttering) - my motto this year!
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Try looking for yourself. Kazza spends a lot of time helping people to help themselves.
    Clue:
    Look at the start of this thread.
  • wrenlegs
    Forumite
    edited 18 January 2011 at 7:10PM
    le_loup wrote: »
    Try looking for yourself. Kazza spends a lot of time helping people to help themselves.
    Clue:
    Look at the start of this thread.

I did. And it looked pretty straight forward but then when I read the thread I could not fathom which of the isas posted were current - they have 'new' next to them but then I read in the last couple of pages that some (e.g. the M and S one) has expired. So I shall make it clear that I have spent a long time looking for myself (and getting confused since I am new to isas and not clear about the penalties for withdrawing money early - hence my specification about a year long isa) and this thread popped up. Didnt realise Id get flamed for asking for some advice from people who clearly are far more clued up than me!

Just to add - I have no clue how to work out if a 4yr isa with a £100 penalty or the averaging out of interest rates over a 4yr period is better that a straight forward 1 yr isa. I do not understand why you are so cross with me for asking for help?
    :money: Saving money, saving the environment and saving space (aka decluttering) - my motto this year!
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    wrenlegs wrote: »
    I did. And it looked pretty straight forward but then when I read the thread I could not fathom which of the isas posted were current - they have 'new' next to them but then I read in the last couple of pages that some (e.g. the M and S one) has expired. So I shall make it clear that I have spent a long time looking for myself (and getting confused since I am new to isas and not clear about the penalties for withdrawing money early - hence my specification about a year long isa) and this thread popped up. Didnt realise Id get flamed for asking for some advice from people who clearly are far more clued up than me!

Just to add - I have no clue how to work out if a 4yr isa with a £100 penalty or the averaging out of interest rates over a 4yr period is better that a straight forward 1 yr isa. I do not understand why you are so cross with me for asking for help?

Wrenlegs,

Kazza continually updates the list so any expired ones shouldn't be in there.

As you don't want to tie up your money for more than a year and the likelihood is that there may be better offers around soon for the new tax year, I would suggest you take your pick from the first part of the first post list sticking with easy access accounts. Click on the names of the accounts to get through to the bank offering the account. Make sure that there are no penalties for withdrawal (which there shouldn't be on easy access) but do check the terms and conditions before you subscribe (deposit).

If you wanted to you could of course look at the one year fixes but they will more than likely have some penalty if you want to withdraw within the 12 month period.

Hope that helps,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • wrenlegs
    Forumite
    Spiggle wrote: »
    Wrenlegs,

Kazza continually updates the list so any expired ones shouldn't be in there.

As you don't want to tie up your money for more than a year and the likelihood is that there may be better offers around soon for the new tax year, I would suggest you take your pick from the first part of the first post list sticking with easy access accounts. Click on the names of the accounts to get through to the bank offering the account. Make sure that there are no penalties for withdrawal (which there shouldn't be on easy access) but do check the terms and conditions before you subscribe (deposit).

If you wanted to you could of course look at the one year fixes but they will more than likely have some penalty if you want to withdraw within the 12 month period.

Hope that helps,
    Spigs

Thank you Spigs. It does help massively. I hadn't realised that new (better) offers would surface before the new tax year. So I guess that an instant access account should house the cash until I can get a good 1 yr isa before April. Fab. I will have another look through the OP to see if I can find a good short term fix. :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback