The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Thanks for the reply’s, I’ll be sure to go those sites Summer12 for the extra information, keep us updated if you could, I’d really like to know what happens.

I’ve set up a new account and I’ll decide this weekend if I’ll manage it myself or through a free charity.

I already feel relieved with my situation and I haven’t even done anything

Thanks people
  • AnnM48
    AnnM48 Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 9:20AM
    Hi,
    I havent posted here in a long time, but read it regularly for advice and reassurance. Ive been on my plan now for 4 years, started as a low start plan as I could only pay £100 per month on my dmp... but still havent been able to increase my payments, and feel like Im never going to get my debt paid off!! I still really struggle every month and regularly wonder if Im doing something wrong with my money. Everyone around seems to be moving house, buying new cars, jetting off on holiday... and I can just about pay my dds each month and feed the family!!

I work part time and earn just over £15k and my husband earns over £22k, so I have never felt that we have a really low income... (I know we arentt about to hit any millionaires club soon!) but at the same time struggle to see how so many people can do so much more with their money... which is why I sometimes feel like Ive got it all wrong somewhere.

On the plus side, although we have struggled each month, we do manage to just get by with no further debt, which is good. But that is with no car changes, no decorating to the house, no holidays etc etc and complete panic if the fridge stops working as we never seem to get an emergency fund built up!

Sometimes I wander if we should have just sold our house at the beginning before starting a dmp and started from scratch?
    So many things I suppose in hindsight I could have done to prevent myself getting into the mess in the first place!
    If anyone has any advice on how to better manage finances.. Id appreciate the help!
  • AnnM48
    Not sure why that keeps posting with all those numbers?
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AnnM48 wrote: »
    Not sure why that keeps posting with all those numbers?

Its the apostrophes - not your fault, but a glitch with the site unfortunately. (I know ... its.... needs an apostrophe, but I have given up trying :rotfl:)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • AnnM48
    edited 15 April 2018 at 9:21AM
    Lol! Good to know....I kept trying to edit to correct! just went in and removed all apostrophes!
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 12:18PM
    SC DMP progress -my original Natwide Flex account has made an unexpected return to iphone app today, this account would have been -75to1k or something until 2011 when I was unemployed and asked step change tonsetup dmp2012.
    Nice balance of -1.82 -SC sticking to their pro data creditor payments, maybe it will be 1st debt to be cleared since 2012.
    Edited-Default amount was 832
    Not confident of asking for a new or reactivated overdraft -though what this could mean is I can consider flex savings.
    Nice suprise though, hopefully I get through next few years and watch debts and defaults drop off.
    Good luck MSER's -progress can be made.
    (Probably didn't have iPhone or a smart phone 2011 only online banking)
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • NewbieNat
    NewbieNat Posts: 61
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My basic account with HSBC is running well. I've just had a slight 'wobble' today, I read that HSBC now own Capital One CC's. Capital One is one of my creditors, so if anyone can ressure me, I'll be smiling & calm once more:)

Thanks, Nat
  • ayupmeduck
    ayupmeduck Posts: 187
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Things are finally starting to happen with Natwest. Got another letter from them the very next day saying they would be shutting down my accounts but not my loan account. They also included a i&o sheet to fill in.

Let's see who they sell my debts onto
    Debt £7976 | Savings £350Aims: Buy first home 2026-8. £20k deposit
  • OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Thank Goodness for this forum :A

I’ve been reading through the last few days and despite my initial worries think it’s time to tackle my debt and look at a DMP. Since January I have been staving off a DMP but this has only led me to get a further £900 in debt and my mental health the last few weeks has really taken a turn for the worse, affecting not just me but my relationship with my partner and family.

I think the thing that scares me the most is the beginning, recieving all the letters when the creditors are first contacted and the defaults appear! Also our fixed term on the mortgage is due to end in two months and I was hoping to hold off until then but I just can’t continue on like this anymore.

Oddly the destruction of my credit file doesn’t bother me too much as I never want to look at another credit card ever again!

My partner isn’t aware of my struggles and at the moment I’m happier keeping it this way! I’m also hoping to get a better job in the next 12 months and hope I can therefore pay my debt off sooner. I have the aim of a three year plan, but we will see! I hope to pull on you all for support and thank everyone on here who’s already posted their experiences, I can’t tell you how much it helps to know your not alone... :)
  • Woohoo - PRA letter today confirming unenforceable! Old barclaycard, balance is almost 5k
    Still waiting to hear from Robinson Way and Sainsburys.

What do I do now with PRA? I don't have anything saved for full and finals yet so can't make a cheeky offer. Do I pay token payments until I can start negotiating a full and final or just not bother ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure