PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 April 2018 at 9:34PM
    Brambling wrote: »
    Send me down a portion of moussaka please it's the one thing I really cba to make just for me and it's been years since I've made one. Unfortunately we no longer have a Greek restaurant in town so I can't get my fix.
    Like lasagne I've never found a way to make a small one so will lob a portion in your direction once made:D

ETA - a small carton of double cream whipped and then frozen in tablespoons is my "go to" if a dish needs a bit of cream:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Like lasagne I've never found a way to make a small one so will lob a portion in your direction once made:D

ETA - a small carton of double cream whipped and then frozen in tablespoons is my "go to" if a dish needs a bit of cream:)

For some reason I can quickly throw together a lasagne but moussaka seems to take me forever, I shall await the carrier pigeon with my portion :rotfl:

Thanks for the tip on freezing cream in portions, I never think of doing that and don't usually buy it because of having to finish it
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The sun`s cme (discharge) seem to affect you very badly caronc, many people get headaches from them, A sudden discharge of the energy and radiation that we don`t want and more hitting earth from the 19-20th.Perhaps arrange to do nothing much at that time

I saw half a tin of baked beans in the fridge and have some bread, so beans on toast it is later. Will think about other meals when I sit down, I have windows to wash and some wall rendering to do this morning.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I was just going to post that I'm not too fussed about sausage rolls, even less so when they are glutenfree! But love cheese and onion, so Brambling if you can get your sister to do gfree ones post some for me please ! Eagerly awaiting! !
    Realized I've put Friday as salad and jacket , but dgson will be here for curry so that will be postponed to Saturday. Also remembered I've half a small tin of beans open !
    Quite windy here , I know rain is forcast, I'm off to work today, I'll be having repeat of Sundays chicken peppercorn dinner when I get home just warm in micro.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am waiting in, for a neighbours bleeping parcel, one massive and another almost massive, they will have to go (dragged) into my garage. I am quite honestly rather peeved at always being asked to do favours for people and some people take the michael, every time they go away for a few days, which is very very often, ok not always on holiday but still away. Grhhh, even down to dragging the bins out. I must be the only one who hardly ever bothers people
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    parcels supposed to be here between 9 and 10 and still not arrived, I am going out after my lunch, end of.

I was struggling with the 5 a day today, had a banana and am now baking eggs on top of carrot/swede mash, also cooking purple sprouting in a pan. Got berries and stewed apple out so will manage 6 today and it will have been hard going

so the courier just rang, an hour ok, I will be in but he knew my first name and pronounced it right and it most definitely is not the name I use except amongst friends and family. Grhhh and he was given my phone number.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2018 at 1:28PM
    kittie wrote: »
    I am waiting in, for a neighbours bleeping parcel, one massive and another almost massive, they will have to go (dragged) into my garage. I am quite honestly rather peeved at always being asked to do favours for people and some people take the michael, every time they go away for a few days, which is very very often, ok not always on holiday but still away. Grhhh, even down to dragging the bins out. I must be the only one who hardly ever bothers people
    Totally with you there. In my last house, my immediate neighbours were working and I was retired so I became Chief Parcel Receiver Most never said thank you and one even put a notice on her door 'to deliver to my address' without so much as a word :mad:
    I once came home to find a mammoth package filling the porch and blocking my way - it was a Morris Minor bonnet! (my neighbour restored them). I got paranoid at the sight of lost looking delivery men and would sometimes actually hide before the inevitable knock. My spiel if I got nabbed and if it was for someone I didn't like was 'Sorry can't help, I'm about to go away' :rotfl:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,219 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Bit of a cold wind today, no breakfast as volunteering day time constraints

Hoped for lucky dip dinner in L's. not so lucky today, nothing YS except salami slices, which are the Devils' curse on food IMO

Lunch was use up one of a pack of PB baguettes, I just fancied some Spam and chutney with that. It was not as tasty I I had hoped, but did the job

Dinner is a head scratcher, I'm in use up mode, and there's a pack of Long Chawton cheese & something Wellingtons in the freezer, which I think are posh pasties really.
    Could have one of them, with frozen chips

Or rinse & repeat of Spam lunch
    Both take no time at all, decisions, decisions

Just had mystery phone call, robot message from text to voice, press this, that or the other to listen. Testes to that, selected 5, killed the lot forever & ever:mad:

I'm a parcel taker inner, but my neighbours do not take the wee wee, and they in turn are helpful, offering to take my bins in etc, which I decline, storing the offers up until I really need them
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2018 at 4:03PM
    Here's a fact ... if they're away they won't know if you are. So you can say what you like really.

Next time when asked say "I'd love to, but I'm probably going away myself then too, so it's better if I say No now rather than letting you down at the last minute"

I was struggling with the 5 a day today....

After that it was 10/day .... but "the latest" is that you need 400 grams/day and don't worry about 5/10 different ones so long as you get the 400 grams and have different ones over time, not all on the same day/plate.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    So far today I've had two hot sausage rolls.

I think I'll buy some actual sausages in the next fortnight or so and do an assortment of sausage recipes I've intended to cook for the last 3-5 years or so and never got round to.

For tea tonight .... I've still got spuds in the 2.5Kg bag, so that seems easiest. Spud/beans/cheese.

Not hungry at the moment .... and it's still early.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback