Virgin Media Stating I Can't Cancel

I want to cancel my Virgin Media.

I've been with them for years, many times starting a new contract, which has been agreed to in the telephone call.
The last telephone call in May resulted in me getting a boot in speed. However, I'm certain there was no verbal agreement on the phone for this latest boost. At no point did the upgrade guy say there would be a new 12 month agreement, at no point did I agree to any such deal.

The contract in "My Account" shows a date of 2016. Apparently there has been another one since then, as well as the most recent one. So the contract that Virgin Media has supplied me is the only one I can base facts on, correct?

The lady on the phone was very rude, was busy interrupting me saying when a change is made to a new package, there is always a legal verbal agreement. I said in this case there wasn't. She didn't listen and continued to say there would have been.

Lady said they had sent me a letter with the details. I didn't receive it.
Lady said they had also emailled me. The last email in my inbox was from 2016.

> A complaint has been opened.
> I will ask for a recording of the conversation that I had to get a better deal.

They probably won't be able to prove there was an agreement, just like I can't prove there wasn't. The lady couldn't tell me where any specific terms about automatically renewing of contracts was either.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html

I.2.11 says:
If you want to change any of the services agreed to, we may charge you an administration fee. We will notify you of the amount of any such charge when you request the change.

K. says:
You may add to or reduce the services from time to time by contacting our customer services team. If you ask us to add any extra services, you agree to accept such additional content or bundles of content for at least the minimum period that applies to it.
But again, nowhere does it specifically state what that really means, and certainly not detailed to be a new 12 month contract. Surely unless it states, it could be 12, 18 or 24 months. I as the consumer would never know!
Furthermore, I didn't ask for the speed increase... they offered, if they want to be that pedantic about it.

Is there anything else I should look at/arm myself with if/when someone from the complaints team call back?

Comments

• mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The last telephone call in May resulted in me getting a boot in speed. However, I'm certain there was no verbal agreement on the phone for this latest boost. At no point did the upgrade guy say there would be a new 12 month agreement, at no point did I agree to any such deal.
    So what did you phone them for in May? Why were you talking to the 'upgrade guy'?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2018 at 7:45PM
    I used to be a Virgin Media customer until very recently, when I joined it was on 50Mb service , and was given an upgrade to 70Mb at some point ( never asked for it, it just appeared ) after a while I got an email or a letter saying I could have a free upgrade to 100Mb , no contract extension, no extra commitment , just call and they would do it...now call me a cynic, but if it were totally free of any new commitment, why didn't they just do it, instead of needing me to call in and request it,..I never did call and they never did increase the speed, I never had a problem leaving them as my unquestionable minimum term had ended many years earlier, I wonder if I had took that 'free' 70 to 100Mb upgrade, leaving them could have been complicated by that 'free' upgrade.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    iniltous wrote: »
    I used to be a Virgin Media customer until very recently, when I joined it was on 50Mb service , and was given an upgrade to 70Mb at some point ( never asked for it, it just appeared ) after a while I got an email or a letter saying I could have a free upgrade to 100Mb , no contract extension, no extra commitment , just call and they would do it...now call me a cynic, but if it were totally free of any new commitment, why didn't they just do it, instead of needing me to call in and request it,..I never did call and they never did increase the speed, I never had a problem leaving them as my unquestionable minimum term had ended many years earlier, I wonder if I had took that 'free' 70 to 100Mb upgrade, leaving them could have been complicated by that 'free' upgrade.

Probably purely so they can try and upsell something to you.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    mac.d wrote: »
    So what did you phone them for in May? Why were you talking to the 'upgrade guy'?
    I was going to leave but they said they could double my speed.
    Nothing mentioned about a new contract.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Virgin are losing their UKTV channels tonight so that's about 10 channels less. Call virgin and say you want to cancel your contract because of this, I have been told there will be no cancellation charge if I give this as the reason.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Virgin are losing their UKTV channels tonight so that's about 10 channels less. Call virgin and say you want to cancel your contract because of this, I have been told there will be no cancellation charge if I give this as the reason.

Told by who?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To the OP: it is up to Virgin to prove you accepted the contract. You don't have to prove you didn't accept it. I'd write a letter of complaint asking them to cancel your original contract or to provide their evidnece that you agreed to a new contract. Give them 28 days and tell them that they owe you any payments they take after your notice of wanting to cancel the contract. Get a proof of posting with the date on it.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Told by who?

I phoned Virgin last night regarding the loss of the UKTV channels and was told by the girl on the phone that if I cancelled my contract and gave this as the reason, I would not be charged
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <I phoned Virgin last night regarding the loss of the UKTV channels and was told by the girl on the phone that if I cancelled my contract and gave this as the reason, I would not be charged>>

Hope that stands up as a valid response backed up by VM .
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was going to leave but they said they could double my speed.
    Nothing mentioned about a new contract.
    As soon as any ISP/Telecom provider makes any changes to your service after you've phoned them, you can pretty much guarantee its triggered a new minimum contract term. They all seem to do it, :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure