PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Morning all. :) I apologise for my absence although I think you're all quite pleased about my absence.:D It's only because I'm busy writing down what I need to do week by week on the allotment based on the last frost date.

All is well here. DH off fishing the river Swale this morning, eldest's speech is slowly improving and I'm going to make a start on my pea wigwams today and plan to make shortbread.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Knowing you fuddle, I have no doubt that everything will happen as you planned. For sheer determination you just about set the gold standard, young lady.

After having the last 24 hours being reluctant to move, work or even think I have woken up this morning ready to slay dragons. I'd dearly love to know how and why this happens. Is it something we've eaten, how long or deeply we slept, or the configuration of stars? I wish I could bottle the feeling. I do know that I'm not the omly one.

While I'm puzzling things out, why does my tablet replace whole words in my text, making complete nonsense of a sentence, while happily accepting words where my finger has mistakenly hit the wrong letter, such as 'probkem' and 'azd'.
    See what I mean?

After pondering these mysteries I am now ready to march up to the village shop for a few necessities. I have already washed a few things out and pegged them on the line, (DS2 takes my sheets and towels to put through their washing machine, I'll be so glad to get my own again) and thought bitterly while wringing things out that even my grandmother had a mangle.
    Then I have plans for a good sort out of things that have been hurled into a spare bedroom to await......er.....sorting out.

I'd better get on before the energy and mind set hits the bumpers.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Don't feel stupid if you don't like what everyone else pretends to love. (Emma Watson)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Fuddle I expect you know how to tell if the soil is warm enough to plant in? You take your knickers off and sit on the soil, if it feels cold to your bum it's too cold to plant!
    Having successfully lowered the tone of the thread as I am wont to do I'll tell you my exciting plans for today. I'm cleaning my windows again, I'll kill the boater on the next jetty if he starts sending smoke signals again. I'm also planning on making a strap to hold my Windlass, it's difficult to hold a Windlass and hold on to the top of the lock gates at the same time and I can't cross the gates without holding on as I am a wuss.

We are planning a trip to Bath in the summer which means negotiating the Caen Hill Lock Flight, 29 locks in 2 miles a rise of 237 feet! I will be fit or fit for nothing after that!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • fuddle
    Ha! Although I am determined, my motivation is bumped by the need to have an answer for the old contingent when they say 'you shouldn't be doing that'. Hester! I adore you. They've been at me about the black plastic again. This time it's to warm the soil ready for carrot and parsnip sowing (which in fairness I probably should do but I would rather look up how man kind did before the invention of black plastic!) but now I can answer that "it's ok, I sat on it bare bum. It's fine!" :D Never dare a fool. ;)

I should also add that it's for DH should I fall ill. I can direct him from a mattress, anywhere. ;)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is contagious Monna! I stayed up till 2am (I never ever do that but just felt relaxed and comfy on the sofa, doing some surfing for details of opening times etc of places to visit locally.
    This madness seems to have reset my body clock a d I have got plenty done this morning with plenty more planned :j

I had a nice time with SIL and other in laws but there was bad news, increasingly common for poorer folk, that one neice is being made redundant as the shop she works at is closing. Another SIL who has lived in the same private rented accommodation for 12 years is being given 2 months' notice because the house has been sold and will be split into student digs. A 2 bed terrace will house 4 students so 4 times the rent. She is paid min wage and has no savings. She has no idea how she will find agents fees, a deposit, rent in advance, a removal van for her furniture.... and then the total insecurity of being on a new 6 month tenancy that may or may not be renewed. It makes me ashamed of this country that we have a huge number of people in this 21st century living like this.

Oh, I should go now, am lowering the spirits for everyone. I shall quietly reflect that when passing allotments at this time of year I need to avert my eyes :eek:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    fuddle shouldn't you be growing giant leeks in your part of the world, and using the soot form Hester's windows.

MMF007 Has your SiL been to her local council's homelessness prevention unit. They are required to help be it temporary accommodation, guarantor for the fees and deposit, rehousing or all of them.
  • So today is a no go.. Had to call in sick from work, body has well n truely gone on strike..
    Only hope now is the Drs (tues), a little light shed on what it could be would be wonderful, I don't expect them to fix me.. I'm happy to research and try to implement things that'll help myself.. Just knowing makes things easier to accept and work on!

Apologies for the moany post, I guess if anything I'm afraid, I've tried not to focus on it and just brushed it all off and pretended I'm coping.. It's something I have always done, some of it I guess is to sheild my boys somewhat, (they know and understand about my autoimmune issues) it's just they've had enough uncertainty and worry over ill health in their lives, I am my mothers carer, something I've done for the last 18 years.
    I know I will pick myself up and keep going, just today all is want to do is hide..
    Hide from myself and the reality that if this body breakdown continues then I will not be able to continue in the job that I am in or care for my family in the way I have done..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • nursemaggie
    MadamMim2013 You reminded me about what you said last night about my hands and feet. I was just going to bed and meant to answer when I got up.

Yes my hands and feet are a side effect. I am not on chemotherapy it does nothing to my particular cancer. My medication is just as powerful as chemo but it attaches to the cancer cells and stops them from growing. I can't fully explain without diagrams. It has around 35 side effects, including the D&S you get with chemo. The D part is permanent every day and is the reason I have applied for Attendance Allowance.

No my hands and feet are not a skin issue. Dr's seem to treat it as if it is as my Oncologist has just prescribed aqueous cream. My former Oncologist used to keep telling me to use E45 cream. All that did was cost me a lot of money.

I think it is both a nerve thing and a circulation thing. I also get Raynaud's syndrome also a side effect. I can feel the redness coming on. It's doing it now. It tingles, goes blood RED and is very painful. I can't walk when it is really bad and I can't touch anything with my hands. At it's worst it is like a newly acquired graze of the entire palms of my hands. Remember falling flat on your face when running as a child. Trying to cook dinner is like mum picking all the grit out and cleaning it up. Right now it is making typing difficult. I keep missing letters out because I am pressing too lightly.

I tried skin so soft last night. It was cool and soothed it so I think I will use it a few times a day. I was being facetious as I have a long list of things SSS is useful for on my desktop. I got it off this site before I signed up for the forum. I can't remember where but it seems like miracle stuff.

lillybet If you would like your old username back write to the Forum team and they will try to sort it out. There is a thread about this password changing.
  • nursemaggie
    MadamMim2013 I hope your doctor has some answers. Your are entitled to some help from your local authority with your mum, I know councils are having a lot of difficulty with care, there may even be some help from a local charity. Respite is required and you must take it if offered it. You need it. If you have already contacted them go back. If you get no where contact your MP.
  • fuddle
    Madammim I'm saddened to read you're Ill and actually you're not coping and I detect you're worried too. You're dealing with my nemesis - poor mental health when the chips are down! When 'it's' bad I struggle to be positive and will allow myself to wallow for no more than a day. Madammim write today off but before you see the end of the day out think about what you need to work on tomorrow. It may be small but it will feed a nugget of proactivity that will move on and on until 'you got this girl'. Even if it's slow progress, progress is better than a vicious cycle.

I understand. Going with it is a must just so you hate it enough to want to kick the vicious cycle's posterior!
    fuddle shouldn't you be growing giant leeks in your part of the world, and using the soot form Hester's windows.

MMF007 Has your SiL been to her local council's homelessness prevention unit. They are required to help be it temporary accommodation, guarantor for the fees and deposit, rehousing or all of them.

I second NM. It's not a very nice scenario to be in but there will be a safety net there. I feel for her, I really do and MMF you're going to have some sad and worrying thoughts this evening when the lights go out. :(

NM show leeks. Goodness, I'm surrounded by show leeks and pigeons. Don't forget pigeon racing. They still do that here. I'm laughing so hard at NM casting aspersions on the cleanliness of Hester's windows :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback