Is it possible to get a monthly contract instead of another 18 month one from EE?

Hey everyone,

I've been with EE for about 8 years now and my most recent 18 month contract finished a couple of months ago which made my price go up by £10 a month (£28 to £38). I wanted to give them a call and start a new contract but the issue is that I might have to leave the country in 6-7 months and be away for 2 years so it's not the best idea to start a new long term contract.

I just wanted to know if I could ask them to make my contract a monthly one but give me the old rate or maybe even a lower one. I know that Southern Electric have a deal for 36MB fiber broadband for £24 a month (including line rental and no setup fees) on a monthly contract. Even their 63MB fiber is only £30 a month and NOW also have a deal which ends up being cheaper than what I currently pay.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think ee we're offering a deal that wasn't tied in. Don't expect it cheap though!
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Of course you can ask. Don't expect a positive response though. You are unlikely to get a rolling contract for the same/less than they offered it for an 18 month tie in.
  • That's a shame.
    So even if I tell retentions that there are cheaper alternatives and that there would be no point for me to get an 18 month contract they would rather let me leave than give me a cheaper deal?

If I do go with southern electric what's the process of switching providers, I've never actually done this before. I'm a little worried about having too much downtime if I have to switch.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You currently have a monthly contract with EE now that your minimum period is over, if you speak to retentions you might get a cheaper deal but it would tie you into a new minimum period.

Go to a company which offers monthly contracts and you'll find the start-up costs are loaded into a higher monthly payment.

You need to check the figures for your own particular circumstances
  • Like I said in my initial post Southern Electric have a deal for 36MB fiber broadband for £24 a month (including line rental and no setup fees) on a monthly contract which is nearly £15 less than what I'm paying right now.

There are no other start up costs like connection charges, installation / router fees for this package.

At this point I'm probably going to have to switch so just wanted to know how the process of switching providers works.
  • AndyPK
    Forumite
    It works by you instructing a new supplier to start up.

2-3 weeks later you should be with new supplier

You can't choose switch date.

If it were me I would ring ee and explain the deal you can get else where and see if they can match.
  • AndyPK
    Forumite
    A new supplier will typically be 18 months contract

A renegotiation with current can select 12 months
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just let your current contract run: you'll lose a lot more if you terminate a new 12m contract in 6/7m.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport