MSE News: The top mobile providers revealed - where cheaper can mean better

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    We're approaching the news "silly season", expect things to get worse.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Apart from the nonsense of the subjective network results, I can't see how any survey of customer service can be fully accurate, when the most perfect operation results in not needing customer service at all.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Picking a mobile phone contract can be tricky if you want "everything". A good comparison for price and features is Three on SIM only.

For example, a few days ago an EE shop was advertising a special offer on an "A board" outside the shop for a "data only" SIM of 20 GB for £20 per month... Three have a SIM with 30 GB of data (all of which you can tether with) plus unlimited calls/texts... all for the same price as the EE special offer!

The survey makes no mention of contract terms and conditions. Many offer no "out of bundle" spending caps. Does data stop when you reach your monthly limit? Can you set a £5 overspend on call/text charges? Don't accept the word of a sales person, read the contract carefully yourself.

Follow the ABC rule, accept nothing, believe no one, check everything.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    sully1311 wrote: »
    o2 and vodafone mvno's yes, ee or three's no

Perhaps you missed the bit where I quoted an EE MVNO as scoring more highly than their own network:
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    PlusNet = 39%, but EE = 35%
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Perhaps you missed the bit where I quoted an EE MVNO as scoring more highly than their own network:

I think they're saying that EE customers (with certain handsets) should have better coverage due to the low frequency access. Do Three have similar?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2018 at 3:30PM
    I think they're saying that EE customers (with certain handsets) should have better coverage due to the low frequency access. Do Three have similar?

I'm not sure that was their point. If it was then it was extremely poorly expressed.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Three have (or appear to have) better 4G/data on newer handsets with additional frequency bands. I'm not sure about their MNVOs.

No doubt the survey takes handsets into account :D
  • One of the biggest issues with this survey is GG customers loyalty, you just have to look at their forums to see it. Their speeds are less than 3Mbps 3 not 33 but three. In a discussion with their Managing Director last year he said they were in it to make money for o2 to invest in the network hen asked where they going to improve speeds he said no. When question why so many customer had left he said we are trying to entice more customers to make money for o2. Forget the customer who they have or have left we simply don’t care was the message that came across. Out of all the comments majority was praising GG how on earth can that happen. Loyalty is the only answer. Just before that we had about 20 sim with them with friends and family the crux was when I did a speed test with a colleague and saw the difference, now we don’t have one sim with GG.
  • Ezorqs
    Ezorqs Posts: 56 Forumite
    It's worth noting that this came from a questionnaire and not from an objective study. "What people say" in other words.

Users of Giffgaff are usually on Giffgaff for a reason less money around, on pay as you go. This means that they likely do not travel very far, probably don't use mobile internet that much and primarily live in areas with strong O2 signal.

Those on O2, more likely have more money and need more "goodies" such as more minutes/texts/data. This will also mean that they are more likely to travel, have a higher demand on data and are more likely to encounter areas that do not have a strong O2 signal. Hence it'll be lower reported coverage than Giffgaff.

There's been a few of these questionnaires lately and they're all rather dodgy. Trying to use these surveys to state facts as above is very bad journalism.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    So what does Great Good and Ok actually mean in terms of quantitive statistics? People's perception and expectations vary, the results are meaningless aside from showing how happy network customers are perceived to be, and that lacks context of any kind of demographic (e.g. A teen on GiffGaff is an entirely different demographic than a white collar worker on VF with different requirements and expectations)

Basically rubbish in, rubbish out.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills